Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'04 STi Brembos onto the RX

Caboobaroo

Yes, I know my coupe isn't an RX BUT with everything done to it, its basically an RX minus the dreaded the EA82T. So some of you have noted my current thread over on NASIOC but thought I'd share it here as well. For Christmas, I'm buying myself a set of Brembos and rotors for an '04 STi (5x100) and will be putting them onto my RX STi.

Anyways the swap is going to be a direct bolt onto the front knuckles since they're off an Impreza but the back is going to be a bit more difficult. I'm going to be getting the backing plates for an STi modified to bolt onto the trailing arms so then I can also have a rear drum parking brake so I can park on hills:banana: The other option was a spendy kit to use special rotors that have the rotor size of the '04 but have the hat size where the parking brake is, the size of a WRX, plus some special brackets to raise the calipers up. I can't wait to get them and convert, then its off to 17" rims:-\

Well whats nice is the fact that I have everything already to do the swap (minus the brakes and backing plates right now) for it to bolt on. Only mod I need to have done is the rear backing plates and thats to bolt them to the trailing arms. The front will bolt directly onto the knuckles I have and the rear, once the backing plates are done and on there, bam, bolt it all together using the XT6 rear hubs.

Then in the spring, here comes the engine swap:banana:

And then next summer, my collection will be getting another STi:burnout:

Well whats nice is the fact that I have everything already to do the swap (minus the brakes and backing plates right now) for it to bolt on. Only mod I need to have done is the rear backing plates and thats to bolt them to the trailing arms. The front will bolt directly onto the knuckles I have and the rear, once the backing plates are done and on there, bam, bolt it all together using the XT6 rear hubs.

Then in the spring, here comes the engine swap:banana:

And then next summer, my collection will be getting another STi:burnout:

Want my adaptor plate template?;)

Basically, my idea is to provide the old gen community with a template so they can diy build their own ej to ea backing plate adaptor assembly out of sheet metal and bolts.

I have it drawn out using a compass and set squares the old fashioned way, it will orient the ej backing plate and provide method of hub centric placement..You'll need to grind off the abs sensor hole and preferably weld it shut although that isn't really necessary..

It is a two piece assembly one 6mm thick hub centering ring with ea inner diameter and ej outer and a 2mm thick adaptor plate that has ea inner diameter and the upper two ej bolt holes and full ea bolt patterns..

The ej bolt pattern is simply to orient the backing plate on the ea swing arm, it uses the upper two wider ej bolt holes with 10mm bolts cut at 6mm (unless you can find 6mm, minus the bolt head, length bolts) along the shaft diameter and inserted in the holes and then welded to the adaptor plate, one bolt head will require trimming to allow clearance for the bolt head of the ea mount so a socket can fit over the bolt head..

This is different that bratgeebah’s (crossbred performance) design as it is two piece, and orients the ej brake caliper at a more aggressive angle and as such none of the ej holes are sharing any area with the ea hole mounts..I believe this is a simpler design that requires no cnc machining. Anyone with a jig-saw a disc sander and drum sander with metal sandpaper and a means of welding could build this adaptor assembly, fyi 6mm is VERY close to ¼” and 2mm is close to 16awg, but being our cars are metric the sheet metal thickness is in millimeters..

I am also designing a zero weld version that requires a 12mm tap and maybe a bit more drilling but I’m still in the early stages of all this..

Kaz

Want my adaptor plate template?;)

Basically, my idea is to provide the old gen community with a template so they can diy build their own ej to ea backing plate adaptor assembly out of sheet metal and bolts.

I have it drawn out using a compass and set squares the old fashioned way, it will orient the ej backing plate and provide method of hub centric placement..You'll need to grind off the abs sensor hole and preferably weld it shut although that isn't really necessary..

It is a two piece assembly one 6mm thick hub centering ring with ea inner diameter and ej outer and a 2mm thick adaptor plate that has ea inner diameter and the upper two ej bolt holes and full ea bolt patterns..

The ej bolt pattern is simply to orient the backing plate on the ea swing arm, it uses the upper two wider ej bolt holes with 10mm bolts cut at 6mm (unless you can find 6mm, minus the bolt head, length bolts) along the shaft diameter and inserted in the holes and then welded to the adaptor plate, one bolt head will require trimming to allow clearance for the bolt head of the ea mount so a socket can fit over the bolt head..

This is different that bratgeebah’s (crossbred performance) design as it is two piece, and orients the ej brake caliper at a more aggressive angle and as such none of the ej holes are sharing any area with the ea hole mounts..I believe this is a simpler design that requires no cnc machining. Anyone with a jig-saw a disc sander and drum sander with metal sandpaper and a means of welding could build this adaptor assembly, fyi 6mm is VERY close to ¼” and 2mm is close to 16awg, but being our cars are metric the sheet metal thickness is in millimeters..

I am also designing a zero weld version that requires a 12mm tap and maybe a bit more drilling but I’m still in the early stages of all this..

Kaz

Sweetness, keep us updated!!!

Caboob, I wanna see your coupe once those brakes are on there. And when the SuperPros go on...

I already have an STi :banana:

Orly? And where do you hide it?

PoorManImpreza - I'd definatly be willing to see those plans! I have access to a welder, metal and some other fancy doodads like a die grinder, lots of my own air tools and such. Lets get together in PM land and discuss plans and such and see what we can come up with since I'd like to keep doing most of this customization of my car to being done myself instead of sending things off to have them modified.

Galen - whenever you're in town, hit me up. I usually don't work after 7pm or so and never on Sundays. Heck, who knows, after my EJ swap, you might inherit an RX tranny;)