Ultimate Subaru Message Board

..."Small" to "Big" Clutch Swap...

Hello Everybody! :)

Now, my Everyday Warrior (my White Weberized EA82 Wagon) has started to have Worn Clutch Issues...

SubarudoBlanco1.jpg?t=1196310508

Absolutely Normal, due to Age and the Very Hard use that it is Everyday Tortured... but I have a Problem, I hope you’ll give me the Right Advice.

My White Wagon is just FWD, a 1985 model that came with (the called here as) the "Small" Clutch Setup, and I need a New Disc and a new Press, along with a new Bearing, to fix it up.

The Subaru Dealer said that they only have the "Big" Press & Disc Assembly, not the "Small" one... Also, Aftermarket Stores only have the "Big" Setup too... Even I found one Clutch Press "Made in U.K." High Performance, that seems to be Premium Quality, but only "Big" one... :-\ ...

Both, the Subaru Dealer & Aftermarket told me that the "Big" Setup did came in Both FWD and 4WD Models... :confused: ...is That True? I thought that the bigger setup was for the 4WD Models only.

Since I’m not Sure about this, and the Lack of Availability of the "Small" Clutch Press (The Small Disc is Available, but the Worst part on my Subie is the Clutch’s Press... ...is that -press- the Right Translated Word for it? ) I have This Question:

- Is Possible to Install the "Big" Press & Disc on a FWD 1985 EA82 Clutch Assembly that uses the "Small" One?

- Did Anyone done That?

- If it´s Possible, Shall I need to Replace the Flywheel?

Since my Subie is Gettin´ worse every day, as Traffic do... :-\ ...I need to fix it up very Soon... Too many Hills in my Country was a very Funny & Nice "Almost Rollercoaster Drivin´Experience" ... but it became a Very Difficult situation now... and Soon my Subie can start to Refuse to climb the Streets... Even with a "Happy Revving" Engine Yelling ... Such a Nightmare! :banghead:

So, any Advice / Pics \ Ideas are Very Welcome!!!

Thank you Again, Best Regards.

JesZeK :burnout:

2wd Non-turbo small clutch 7-7/8 inch

2wd turbo Big Clutch 8-7/8 inch

4wd all Big Clutch 8-7/8 inch

Try to find a clutch set for the older EA81/EA71 clutch. I believe the older EA81 4wd Stuff is the "small" clutch 7-7/8 in. not sure if the preure plate will be the mall though.

... So "Pressure Plate" was the Right Translation... I was Writin´ "Press" ...

Thank You! ... But I´m not Sure about the Pressure Plate... (Press) ...of the EA81 on EA82.

I do Preffer the Idea of Installing the Bigger one, What do you Think About? ... is that Possible?

if So, Any Advantages / Disadvantages?

I am Li´l Confused... This:

EA81 4WD 225mm Pressure plate (1983+)

EA81 4WD 225mm Disc (1983+)

EA81 Thowout bearing & holder

EA81 Pilot bearing

EA82 4WD Flywheel

is Just to Install on a FWD EA82 the Bigger Disc, isn´t it?

So the EA82 "Big" Disc setup (Pressure Plate & Disc) Will not Work?

If So, There are Any Cheaper Alternatives to Fix my Subie? like to use the "Small" EA82 Disc & Pilot Bearing, along with a EA81 Pressure Plate, due to the Lack of a EA82 "Small" Pressure Plate?

Thank you for your Kind Answers! :burnout:

If you get a "big" (225mm) EA82 flywheel, the EA81 4WD clutch will bolt up just fine and you will have what you desire - a 225mm clutch for your 2WD Loyale.

No - the EA82 "big" clutch will NOT work. The spline count for the disc is wrong, and the throwout bearing is a larger diameter and won't work either.

Without changing the flywheel, it's not possible to have a "big" clutch as the small flywheel is different. So you just need to get the larger flywheel, and buy a "big" EA81 clutch and you will be OK.

I have done this with a 2WD EA81 - it works just fine. And the EA81/EA82 2WD 5 speeds are the same transmission - both are derived from the EA81 4WD transmission, and as such share the same clutch parts. That's why you can use the EA81 4WD clutch with your 2WD transmission..... just substitute the EA82 4WD flywheel on the engine side and everything bolts together like it was meant to be that way!

GD

Thank you GD, Now I Understand what to Do, if I want to Use a "Big" Disc on my FWD Loyale, but let me Ask you another Related Question:

If I Can Not Obtain in Short Time a 4WD ("Big") EA82 Flywheel, Here I Can Obtain for Sure, the "Small" Disc and the Pilot Bearing, the only Problem is the Pressure Plate. I Can´t Found any. So, the -Last- Question is:

- Will a EA81 Pressure Plate, Work on my EA82 "Small" Clutch Setup?

If So, Which One?

Thank you, You´re So Kind.

- Will a EA81 Pressure Plate, Work on my EA82 "Small"

Yes - my parts manual indicates that the EA81 and EA82 2WD clutch kits are the same part number..... but that's not exactly a good thing because if no one has the part for an EA82 then they won't have it for the EA81 either because it's the same exact part.

You may want to have a board member ship you one from up here - or a 4WD EA82 flywheel - whichever you like. Shouldn't cost much up here - flywheels are around $10 at the junk yards.... I might have one laying around but it would need cleaned up and surfaced.

GD

Thank You! ... You´re Soo Kind!!!

Both EA82 & EA81 FWD Pressure Plates are the Same! ...

Now I Have some Hope to Fix my Subie by This Weekend, Because I Didn´t Search on the Aftermarket Stores on that Option, and Knowin´ the Dealer´s People as I Know ´em (Since 1985, and they´re Still the Same) I think that They didn´t know that too. So, I Think it might be a Possibility to Find one Pressure Plate for my Subie.

Let me Tell you that now, I have Purchased a Rear Cargo Cover from another Board Member. (c150L) He is Soo Kind too. This is the First time I buy Somethin´ thru a Miami´s Mail Box Office. It makes Trade Easily, ´cos The things only need to be shipped to a Miami´s Address, where the Company (www.pakmailhonduras.com) will send the Part here, to my Country, as soon it Reaches there, Then they call me and I´ll Pay the Miami-Honduras Shipment here, where I Receive it.

So, if I Can´t Find here a way to Fix my Subie, I´ll ask here and at the "Market Place" Forums for the Needed Parts.

Again, Thank you. You´re Soo Kind.

Best Regards!

You may want to have a board member ship you one from up here - or a 4WD EA82 flywheel - whichever you like.

GD

I actually have a full clutch set for EA82 2wd (small) disc. Bought it for a car that someone said had bad clutch but but was actually an axle.

I could ship it. PM me if you need

There are many parts exporting companies in the south florida area...

ACTUALLY... My favorite store is a local chain (they have about six or eight stores) that is VERY good with service, the parts guys are usually either knowledgable, or humble (they listen to you if they do not know as much as you.) They have a parts exporting service; I do not know if it is limited to the bahamas/carribbean area or not, but we have people here from ALL over Latin America so there is a good chance that they may be able to help you.

http://www.congressauto.com/locations.cfm?fname=&sessionid={SESSIONID}&uname={UNAME}&wholesale={WHOLESALE}

http://www.congressauto.com is the homepage if that above link doesn't work, and export@congressauto.com is the export email address.

The BEST part is that they have, on their website, a place to click that essentially opens a terminal in your browser identical to the one that the guy behind the counter has. It is not the EASIEST parts lookup interface to use, but it is very thorough. I worked at the store briefly so I can use it fairly well.

Shoot them an e-mail; they may prove to be a GREAT source of replacement parts. The store carries ALOT of lower quality parts in order to keep prices competitive for the price shoppers, but they also carry higher end merchandise and understand the value of quality. They should be able to help you order almost anything commercially available here.

Honestly, I am kicking myself for not telling you about them a long time ago! :rolleyes: Hopefully they can make life better for you when it comes to getting obscure parts. I have no idea if the end pricing (with shipping factored in) will be enough to have yo using them as a primary source, but for difficult-to-obtain items it may be just the key.

i ran into an issue while mixing and matching parts, where i couldnt get a TO bearing to engage the fingers of the pressure plate, the to was too small on the outer diameter. my tranny would only accept the ea81 TO bearing holder, so i used a 1992 nissan pickup TO bearing, it had the same innner diameter as the ea81 TO bearing, but had a larger outside diameter to hit the fingers... theres always alot of different ways to do stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all your Kind Replies!!!

I have been soo very busy @ Work lately and my PC Fried another Hard Drive... but I`ll fix things Soon...

I`ve Asked to our Local Subaru Dealer for the Parts, and Salesman gave me a Reasonable Price for a New Pressure Plate along with the Ball Bearin` and the Clutch`s Disc; also, the Salesman said that it only Left One of each part in their Stock :eek: , and it might be the Last One... :-\ ...

He`ll "Reunite" the Parts within these days, as he said that the parts are: one (Disc) in Tegucigalpa City, Another one (Bearin`) in Comayagüela City, and another (Pressure Plate) in San Pedro Sula City`s Stock...

I`ll Post here as Soon as I made any Progress with the Parts.

I think that I`ll keep the "Small" setup config for now...

Again: Thank you for All your Kind Replies! :burnout:

• 1 month later...

Finally, I have Solved my PC and my Subies Problems!!!

:banana: -For Now- :D

The Dealer Gave me (Cheap) the Whole Set, they Collected the Parts from the Dealer`s other Stores... I Took this Picture of It, before Installin` it:

ClutchSetup.jpg?t=1201073905

And Now, My White Wagon Runs Great Again! :burnout:

As you can See, I only found one of the Gearbox Sustainin` Parts... What is the Correct Translation for that Part?

I Really want to Thank you All for your Kind Replies!!!

Best Regards!

JesZeK