Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Stereo Soup Batman

So while i was tinkering on the car in the parking lot i decide to remove my stereo because its shorting out, turning itself off, getting all staticy. Its an aftermarket stero buy they way cirga 1995 so i already have the aftermarket install kit. I pull it out and holy god it was a mess of wires. It looks like it was professionally installed though but ive never seen all these wires like that before. Ill take a picture so you can further see what im talking about. My question is that were there stereo wire adaptors back in 1995 for these cars or is this more then likely something someone hacked up. The wire loom where the stereo wires are coming out of has alot of wires that have been just cut off. There not exposed or anything just cut. Any help would be great.

ben

Yeah, Crutchfield sells both the wiring and installation adapters. They can also be found at most places that sell automotive sound systems. Not everyone does a neet job of installing them either. "It's outta sight, so why should I care" is what most do. Then they wonder why they have problems later.....

any unused wires should be sealed off somehow (wire nut or taped over with electrical tape). if you can see the metal in the end of the wire it is exposed and a potential short. if the wires were just cut off it was not "professionally" installed - a true professional would not of done that.

messy wiring is one of my pet peeves - Brumhilda (my old GL wagon) had a mess made of the stereo wiring before i got her - took me the better part of an afternoon to get it sorted out, cleaned up, and a new stereo installed - oh yeah, and about $25 and a couple more hours to feed in the wire for a new antenna! somebody had cut the darn antenna wire then tried to piece it back together!! :mad::confused:

the only other problem is that aftermarket radios are too mlong to fit the dash, they sell adapter kits that extend the opening about 2 1/2 inches. if your shifter is sloppy it may hit the volume button.. i got all my adapters at best buy. but they have to have a mobile eletronics department at the store

the only other problem is that aftermarket radios are too mlong to fit the dash, they sell adapter kits that extend the opening about 2 1/2 inches. if your shifter is sloppy it may hit the volume button.. i got all my adapters at best buy. but they have to have a mobile eletronics department at the store

No the stereo fit in there fine. It just likes the most advanced wireing back in 1995 and definately needs updated. Will probally get a different radio when i have some money and straighten out my front end situation.

Ben