Ultimate Subaru Message Board

31x10.50 tires on a dl wagon ?

ivantruckman

has any one had expirence with running 31x10.5, im running 205 65 15 now with no lift kit, ive done extensive fender trimming, i can bottom out the suspention with no tire rubbing, i plan on installing a 4 inch lift kit, my question is .. is 4 inches enough (thats what she said) to run 31 s . i like the variety of tred patterns for this size tire. i dont want to find out the hard way that the tires will rub , im a little worried about the extra width ie 10.5, ..oh and im using pugs in front and chevy redrills in the rear..

From what I've read in this forum, 31"s are hard to turn. Most who go that big on tires use a divorced transfer case to manage them. The divorced t-case requires 6-8" of lift (IIRC). And for reference, I have 27" tires on a 3/4" lift (EA81) and had to trim the front fenders a little to fit them. So, I'm doubtful that 4" would provide room for 31" tires.

Good luck.

true 31" tires still rub on my 8" lifted ea81. and i've taken a 15 lb sledge to the fenders. if your going that big, move the front crossmember forward. ken did that to his brat and fixed the rubbing issue with a 10" lifted brat...

27" ssr's are the perfect weapon of choice for a 4/3" lifted subaru.

You may be able to beat the firewall enough to get no rubbing during suspension compression, but you will rub as the steering nears lock. The tires will rub on the "framerail" as it is. It's the box channel portion of the unibody, behind the crossmember where it melds into the firewall. I rub at full lock, and I'm lifted 4" and running 235/75r15 Allterrains. Those turn out to be 29.something inches diameter. So 31x10.5 will reduce your turning ability by a fair amount. Which sucks when you're trying to navagate a trail.

The largest I would run with a 4" lift is 30x9.5's. I ran Mud Kings in that size for a while.

the tire size gain really isn't worth it. unless you put another case in, so that you have the gearing to turn the tires and not smoke the clutch. 27" tires, welded rear-end and 4/3" lift and you'll be fine for what subaru's are good for wheeling. anything more, alot more mods should start going in. unless your one of those concrete cowboys that need the look of a big vehicle and not actually use it.

i think 28s are the realistic limit with 4 inches of lift. my fronts rub on turns while compressing the suspension hard. and i've beaten the floorboards way back. and thats with toyota 4runner aluminum rims that stick way out. pugs are way too narrow for a 31 anyway! they WILL rub on your springs, and i mean rub enough to not turn.

i think 27s are the ticket for a 4 inch

i don't jump my car, i wheel it to it's limits. realistically there are not enough gains by going to 31's with stock gears, there are more losses than gains. even with 27" tires it pretty much eliminates the effectivity of low range. not to mention the stress on the strut tops if you accidently get air. i've torn a few of them. the weight of the heavy tires over time and heavy use will slowly tear the strut tops and seperates the strut. limiting straps will greatly help that. but for every mod there is at least one other in order for it to work properly. if you really want the 31's you'll lose all gearing, a clutch or two and finally become a concrete cowboy and running the easy trails because you don't have the gearing, the clutch or anything else that makes a wheeler capable. driving experience and skill makes everything. if you take a good driver, say ken or eric and give them a barely built rig and a person with no experience with a really built rig, 9 times out of 10 the experienced driver will out wheel the inexperienced. they can pick lines and find a way up and over an obstacle that the inexperienced never will... as eric has said, he takes the knife to a gun fight, and i still see him showing people up.