Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Genuweenie Subaru or STP air filter?

Air filters dont vary much, except for the high flow or "add 10 hp" filters.

There is a link someplace with someone who did real scientific comparisons on air filter brands, and the only ones that varied a great deal were the high flow air filters.

the link is buried in here some place, you may find it on a search.

nipper

I used an STP filter when I replaced it a couple days ago. Nothing bad has happened yet. :grin:

Yet, you say... no doubt there are risk takers out there...

The cost difference of a discounted Subaru filter at $14 and STP at $11 could potentially send shock waves through the subprime mortgage industry already leaning towards collapse. I'm not sure I can live with the risks of losing the house especially since the garage is attached!.

several yrs ago I used a fram filter on another car (diesel) and drove for a very long time in unusually rainy and very damp weather conditions (about 2 wks)...only to find out that the fram paper had become "hardened or brittle" when comparing it to a new/unused one which resulted in not allowing enough air to flow thru it, even if it appeared to be near new and very clean...apon changing the air filter, the fuel consumption dropped dramaticly.. (very easy to be aware of this when driving a diesel)