Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Impreza 2.2l hatchback

Oil has collected on the top of the exhaust pipe and is burning off. It's sort of where the manifolds connect to a straight pipe under the dash on passenger side.

Here's an archaic exhaust picture where the arrow shows where the oil is burning off on.

\ /

\ /

| <---------

Any idea where that would be coming from? There are a couple of drops of oil dripping from the car on my garage floor but nothing significant. Oil level is fine too.

My '99 OBW did that for a while. I can't remember what the problem was though, it was some seal leaking and the dripping oil would fly back onto the exhaust pipe and make big clouds of smoke. It would be fun, we would go to a gas station and there would be a bit coming in the vents so we would open the hood to let out a giant cloud of smoke and everyone would :eek: . twas fun apart from the smell and the adding of oil.

Many possabilities. The cam seals, Main engine seal in the front, oil pump seal. Axle boots dont have grease that travel that far.The sperator plate doesnt usually leak that bad to get on that pipe, as it is trapped by the blel housing.

First thing to do is go to a self service car wash and wash the bottom of the engine. This is what a shop would do to see where the leak is coming from.

Have you ever replaced the timing belt? If so how long ago.

nipper

Timing belt has not been replaced. It has 88k on it. Is it due already?

Many possabilities. The cam seals, Main engine seal in the front, oil pump seal. Axle boots dont have grease that travel that far.The sperator plate doesnt usually leak that bad to get on that pipe, as it is trapped by the blel housing.

First thing to do is go to a self service car wash and wash the bottom of the engine. This is what a shop would do to see where the leak is coming from.

nipper

I did my first oil and filter change (for me) on my Suby recently. It had been using oil (which was unusual) and ever since the previous dealer service at 90,000 miles it had been smelling a bit. When I got under the car there was quite a bit of oil around. I found that the dealer had not tightened the sump plug up enough- it was only finger tight!. I now hope the car is back to no oil consumption as before.

I bought the car from a dealer last month, so I actually don't know if it's been replaced. I'm guessing it would be really hard to tell. Are oil leaks like this a common side effect of an old timimg belt? What would you expect to pay for a timing belt replacement on this car?

er its just a wittle late.....

Just a wittle ....

a tiny bit ...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

every 60,000 miles or 60 months.

Its after 2000 that it jumps to 105,000 miles.

nipper

I bought the car from a dealer last month, so I actually don't know if it's been replaced. I'm guessing it would be really hard to tell. Are oil leaks like this a common side effect of an old timimg belt? What would you expect to pay for a timing belt replacement on this car?

Oil leaks are common to subarus as the get older. This car is a little young for them, but the low mileage can be just as bad as high mileage on a seals.

Last time i did this i had everything replaced up front and it was 700.00 ish (re seal everything timing belt water pump tensioner).

Why not do it yourself? This is a SOHC so its much easier then the 2.5L

nipper

nipper

The oil is not normally contained in the bell. There is a cover plate on the underside of the torque converter that is almost always removed and discarded if the engine or trans has ever been removed.

Whenever the inner axle boot on the passenger side tears it throws the grease onto the front cat conv. Granted it is unlikely that it will travel into the Y, but it is possible

The oil is not normally contained in the bell. There is a cover plate on the underside of the torque converter that is almost always removed and discarded if the engine or trans has ever been removed.

Ah my last two soobies had them, thats why i never noticed the leaks in either of them till something else went wrong.

nipper

Ah my last two soobies had them, thats why i never noticed the leaks in either of them till something else went wrong.

nipper

It is soooooo much easier if you pull them off when you go to reinstall either item. The first one I tried to leave on and I didn't notice that it bent upward and went into the ring gear on the flywheel..... man did that make a nice noise:grin: