Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil smell thru vents or just me

hey for the past week i have been smelling oil coming thru my vents after taking off from a red light. theres no blue smoke coming from the exhaust and the leaks it has is the same no more no less. its only after a red lite. btw my fan and air selectors are all off. could oil be dripping on to somthing causing a smell? its not a heavy smell tho just very quick whif and thats it. 85' GL wagon!!! i stood behind it as my dad pulled forward into the garage and no smoke or oil odors. very strange.

hey for the past week i have been smelling oil coming thru my vents after taking off from a red light.

Most likely - a drop of engine oil lands on the exhaust manifold & vaporises. Depends on how hot & how much - sometime you won't get smoke. The cabin air vent intake is in the slot where the wipers sit. It doesn't take much leakage to get a little inside. Very common on these old cars.

so there's nothing to worry about?

Not really. If it gets so bad you see smoke (lots, not wisps) rising from under the hood when you stop, it's probably a good idea to get after the leaks. You don't need a flash fire.

Take a close look at the exhaust pipefrom under the engine to just past the transmission. If oil is getting on it, there will be stains / black marks. If there are any, odds are that's where the smell is coming from.

The valve cover seals shouldn't be a difficult thing to replace.

Not really. If it gets so bad you see smoke (lots, not wisps) rising from under the hood when you stop, it's probably a good idea to get after the leaks. You don't need a flash fire.

Take a close look at the exhaust pipefrom under the engine to just past the transmission. If oil is getting on it, there will be stains / black marks. If there are any, odds are that's where the smell is coming from.

The valve cover seals shouldn't be a difficult thing to replace.

i know they shouldnt i've been to lazy to get to it tho

hahahaha to the above post :lol:

My car would leak from the rear main seal..and when i say leak i mean..drip, drip drip at every stoplight so that i would have a cloud of blue smoke billowing out from under my car cause it was burning off on the exhaust. Not fun. Needless to say i got the rear main fixed, resealed the valve covers, and oil pump, and oil pan. No more leaks going on three years.