Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interchange between 85 ea81 and 86 ea82 help please.....

Ok, I did search the forum...did not find what I was looking for. I am kinda new to the subarus and I need to know what from a 4door GL 85 ea81 will fit on a 86 4 door gl ea82. Mine (the 86) has been rode hard and put away wet. I am sure I will be in the market for some parts (running gear mostly) that I dont want to pay full price for. I have found an 85 for cheap as a parts car, but i'ts a different body style and engine. I need to know if there is ANYTHING on there I would be able to use.

I was told I need a new rack and pinion today when I took the beast down to get it aligned. They quoted me $1,200+ to fix that and the struts. :-\ Didn't pay that much for the car. Any way, wondering if I should go to the trouble of grabbing this parts car......if not, anyone in central Washington need a parts car? (he said it overheats bad) Thanks for any info you guys can provide....

Cheers.....

~g

the front suspension is different, different struts,different steering, brakes, driveshaft, front axles different drive shaft, different rear suspension all together... pretty much useless if your looking for runing gear, you need an ea82 for parts. or just stick your motor and transmission in the ea81 body, thats always fun, and super easy.

Ok, I did search the forum...did not find what I was looking for. I am kinda new to the subarus and I need to know what from a 4door GL 85 ea81 will fit on a 86 4 door gl ea82. Mine (the 86) has been rode hard and put away wet. I am sure I will be in the market for some parts (running gear mostly) that I dont want to pay full price for. I have found an 85 for cheap as a parts car, but i'ts a different body style and engine. I need to know if there is ANYTHING on there I would be able to use.

I was told I need a new rack and pinion today when I took the beast down to get it aligned. They quoted me $1,200+ to fix that and the struts. :-\ Didn't pay that much for the car. Any way, wondering if I should go to the trouble of grabbing this parts car......if not, anyone in central Washington need a parts car? (he said it overheats bad) Thanks for any info you guys can provide....

Cheers.....

~g

well, if the 4 door is truly an '85, then it will have an ea82 engine, not an ea81, unless it's been swapped out before.....

the last year for a 4 door ea81, was '84

if it is in fact a '85 4 door, then most of the parts you need should swap

over.....

if you know for a fact the body is different, then it's a '84

well, if the 4 door is truly an '85, then it will have an ea82 engine, not an ea81, unless it's been swapped out before.....

the last year for a 4 door ea81, was '84

if it is in fact a '85 4 door, then most of the parts you need should swap

over.....

if you know for a fact the body is different, then it's a '84

+1

Clear that up, confirm each car and engine.

I did check the engine. His is an "EA81" and is the rounded body style, mine is an "EA82" and is the sharper square body style. Sound like im screwed.

Thanks for the help.

That means his is not an 85. 84 or earlier. Nothing really directly interchanges.

That means his is not an 85. 84 or earlier. Nothing really directly interchanges.

the date a vehicle was badged as doesnt realy have anything to do with it. i've seen an 85 ea81 wagon. my dad had a 95 s-10 that was the 93 earlier body style. its all about how long it sat around before it was shipped.

the date a vehicle was badged as doesnt realy have anything to do with it. i've seen an 85 ea81 wagon. my dad had a 95 s-10 that was the 93 earlier body style. its all about how long it sat around before it was shipped.

NO....... not really.

If you saw an "85" Ea81 wagon, it was either

A: an 84 EA81 wagon

B: an 85 EA82 wagon with a EA81 swapped into it

C: A model spec. for sale in another country ( I think NZ got EA81 in the newer "EA82" bodies)

Look at the tag riveted to the drivers door or door frame. It will tell you production date. Keep in mind that an "85" could be built a early as July 84

They're weren't any EA81 body wagons designated as "85" model year. Sometime the title to the vehichle can be wrong, like you say if an 84 get's sold in 85, but it is still an "84" model year vehichle.