Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale w/washer problems

Hi again. Well, not only do I still have no horns, but my w/shield washers quit just in time for winter, (not to mention my clock fix only works when cabin temps hit 60+) I can't hear the pump so decided to check it out,(after making sure the bottle was filled with fresh washer fluid) only to find the reservoir and pump seem to be buried inside the r/h front fender. My Haynes manual makes no reference to this, so how do I access the pump without popping the r/f wheel and fender liner??:confused:

had a similar problem with my 89 GL - the second temps got below freezing it would stop working.

big diffence for me was my right fender was pretty rusted out, so all i had to do was carefully pry it out enough to get to the plug...

got my hands on another bottle and pump, zip tied it to the right hand support for the spare tire, ran new tubing from it to a convienent place to unhook the existing tubing (there are several connections along the line), plug it in and never worried again. the engine put out enough heat to keep things thawed, but not enough to melt the bottle.

was actually pretty convienent, easy to check fluid level, easy to refill.

is it possible that the pump could freeze (due to no antifreeze mix in the bottle) and therefore not operate at all?? (no noise?)

This very thought occured to me when you stated the pump didn't work in your first post. If the temperatures are below freezing, and you park outside rather than a heated garage, and haven't used freeze protected washer fluid, then the answer is pretty obvious. To clear up the ice problem I think you would have to park the car inside a well heated space overnight and let things thaw out. Then purge out the water and replace it with washer fluid.

As far as the horn problem goes, have you checked out the horn relay a the cause for the problem?

Edit: It has come to my attention that there may not be a horn relay for this model so I may be in error about that.

:Flame: Well, not quite, but a hairdryer did the trick - aimed it at the back of the bottle and it took 5 minutes. Lots of winter fluid in there now. Cougar, haven't gone any further with the horn issue, although I thought there was a relay also. Whatever, if the horns are toast I'll just bolt the old Dodge horns I have to a more accessible place. I got a feeling the washer bottle might get relocated one day as well. There's no shortage of space to mount this stuff under the hood - why Subaru chose to bury them is a mystery