Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stealership? Part 2. Invoice Tranny Fluid Change But Not Charge?

Would service dept. invoice a tranny fluid change at no charge if the service had NOT been performed?

'05 OBW.30K service. Asked them to CHECK fluids. Called them 7 hours later to see where my car was. He says,"Sorry, but we've still got it tore apart running down that rattle. Do you want the transmission fluid changed?" I say, "I do not." He says, "Oh. Because it's dark." I say, "I don't want it changed." (following your advice here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81253 ) He says, "OK".

The service invoice contains an itemized tranny fluid change but no charge.

Do you think they changed my tranny fluid? When I got it home it was beautifully transparent and clear.

I think when I called them they had already changed the fluid hoping I would buy there "dark" story for $71.

What do you think?

Juan

I'm not sure, since I've now sold my '05 at 24,000 miles, but I believe a tranny fluid change on the 5EAT is recommended at 30,000. Seems awefully low to me, but then again I'm not used to automatics. I had a friend that was having issues with a used '05 he bought that had 38,000 miles on it. The dealership told him his problems were becuase he never changed the fluid at 30,000. When he told them he bought it with 38,000 from them, they quickly changed his fluid and charged him nothing.

Keith

As with your spark plugs..............If you took the car to the dealer and asked for a 30k service, the transmission fluid should have been changed.

If you did not ask for a 30k service and told them specificly what work you wanted performed, then it is a different story.

What did you take the car in for a 30k service or something different?

Most Subaru Dealership have three levels of 30k Service

BASIC as per owners manual (Silver)

Medium, basic plus transmission service (Gold)

Premium, flush all fluids (Platinum)

Even as part of the basic service, they are to check the other fluids as per the owners manual, if they find something that needs to be replaced/repaired they usually call you and ask you. WHY CHECK STUFF? Because it might be dirty and might need replaced. Mechanic might have thought you wanted the medium service (recommend for most driving conditions) especially if it has taken you 3 years to get to 30k. (all fluids should be replaced every 3 years) and so they had to give it you.

As a Subaru repair shop owner, I can say that the newer car fluid does look dirty at 30k miles, I think the fluid that is installed at the factory isn't as red looking as most if yours is a 4EAT. If your vehicle is a 5 speed Auto your a fool not to change it every 30k because there is not external filter. And have seen these trannys going bad about 100k (from what you ask? In frequent servicing of the transmission)

Also the dealership can void warranties if you decline service and later that conponent becomes an issue, doesn't happen often but can happen.

Just be happy that they took care of you, and did not hassle with trying to charge you with it. Doesn't sound like such a bad place, and in addition if you do not trust them, why did you take your car there?

I see your point. It has taken me three years to get to 30k.

I wasn't concerned with different levels of 30k service because I took the time to request specific services. A transmission fluid replacement was was not among them.

Had they called me and told me that the tranny fluid was dark and needed replaced, I would have given the OK.

Maybe your right. Maybe the service tech took the initiative to step outside the the service order and perform maintenance work he/she thought was needed.

I would sincerely like to know your opinion as to whether the transmission fluid was replaced.

As to if I trusted them: I did when I took it in there. I'm not so sure now. Telling me, when I called them, that it's "dark" and then it shows up clear as a dessert topping leaves me wondering.

Juan

Do a drain and refill every time you change the oil, or every second time if you use dino. It's cheap, quick and easy. There'll always be some fresh in the transmission, and you'll probably be spared the expense of ever needing a flush.

I would sincerely like to know your opinion as to whether the transmission fluid was replaced.

Juan

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

#1) It is a dealership. You tell the service writer what you want done, he relays the info to the tech. If the tech is used to "Knocking out" 30k services all day, and is use to performing the same service over and over and over, he may have changed the trans fluid without thinking about it. When they realized the mistake, they tried to sell you the service. Not good.

#2) They may have just flat out tried to sell you the service knowing full well you didn't want it and the trany fluid was clean. Really not good.

#3) It really was "dark", they thought it absoultly needed to be replaced, you didn't want to pay so they did it anyway, put it on the invoice, and didn't charge for it. Great!

Not knowing what the fluid looked like before and after or haveing before and after samples tested, you will never know.

In a perfect wrold it would have been #3............................

And that, WA, is the point: I will never know.

What a world.

Thanks,

Juan

i would assume that the dealer was not charging you for services not provided. that is against the law.

i would assume that they did more than you asked for and then didn't charge you when you complained and they realized the error. this is one of the reasonms dealers are so expensive, one of many...

as long as your fluid is good.