Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo in a hatch???? how bout it?

alright, so here is the plan, i have an 86 subaru GL 1.8 d/r 4x4 5 spd hatchback, i just recently bought a 87 subaru turbo GL 10 5spd push button 4x4, i want to or would like to put the turbo engine in my hatchback, now what would be best, to keep the 5 spd tranny and rear end in and mount the turbo up to it, and go, or swop the engine and tranny and rear end? does anyone see a problem with the turbo fitting in my hatchback??

Thanks

S.S

The turbo motor is a OHC MPFI Motor.

The Hatchback has a OHV Carburated motor.

The turbo will not "bolt on".

You can do an engine swap, but you will need to swap the ECU and all the wiring.

You will also want to use the 5speed as the hatchbacks 4 speed will be no fun with the turbo.

Good Luck with it ;)

-Brian

yes i was planning on just pulling the engine out of my hatchback and droping in the turbo. and ya 4 spd not fun, but will the turbo engine fit in the car? and "all wireing?? starting where?

The turbo motor is a OHC MPFI Motor.

The Hatchback has a OHV Carburated motor.

The turbo will not "bolt on".

You can do an engine swap, but you will need to swap the ECU and all the wiring.

You will also want to use the 5speed as the hatchbacks 4 speed will be no fun with the turbo.

Good Luck with it ;)

-Brian

I'm not sure but please correct me if I'm wrong :)

If you are thinking of putting a EA82T into the spot where a EA81 came out?? Well, from what I recall someone over here in Oz, tried it and the engine fitted the bolt up pattern but the problems was the space? because the EA82 has OHC's, it made the engine very... and I mean VERY close to the chassis rails :( Which was fine unless a engine mount broke :(

Ok, lets see here....

1. The engine will fit. But you will have to move the hill holder back, and possibly notch the frame rail on the drivers side to clear the valve cover if you tilt the engine/tranny back to clear the 5 speed (see below). You will have to customize the radiator hoses of course as well.

2. You will need the cross-member from an EA81T in order for the downpipe to clear. Or you can cut a big chunk out of the existing cross-member but I suspect that in doing so you will lose your front sway bar. The EA82 cross-member will not fit as the car is wider.

3. Custom exhaust will have to be fabricated. The stock stuff won't work, and the turbo stuff will be too long for the short-wheelbase hatch.

4. 5 speed will need to be fitted - the 4 will suck, and now is the time to do it while everything is apart. You will need to make a custom cross-member for the tranny, and the floor pan will either need to be cut, beat back, or the whole engine/tranny assembly tilted backwards slightly in order to clear the transmission tunnel. Jerry (bratsrus1) makes a nice kit to fit the 5 speed to the EA81 body. Besides the cross-member some cutting and welding of the linkage is also needed.

5. The wiring is BIG. You need the entire engine control harness and ECU from the donor car. You will have to strip out the components that run the ECU and piggyback it as a sub-harness to the existing vehicle's harness. This involves adding several fuses, at least one fusible link, and wiring in extra relays for the ignition circuits. You'll need to tap into the speed sensor in the cluster, as well as find a location for the CEL.

6. The fuel system will have to be converted to high-pressure. All the soft lines must be replaced with high-pressure rated FI hose, and the fuel pump rewired to be controled from the ECU's fuel pump relay. The tank has no baffles so either a custom tank needs to be made, a surge tank added, or just make sure you don't go below 1/4th of a tank.

Anyway - that's about the size of it. FI conversions are never simple. I've done several now.

GD

22B is correct. The EA82 is much wider than the EA81. Because of the cams being in the heads... it adds quite a bit to the width. However, the lack of space is the least of your worries with a project like this. A hammer and torch and welder should be able to fix those. Its the wiring that will kill you. Hope you really understand what you are doing.

Oh, and umong all the other things (the cross member, the exhaust, the transmission) You will also need to install some higher pressure fuel line because the lines for a carburated car are not rated for the increased pressure a Fuel Injected car requires. That, and the fuel pump.

-Brian

p.s.

The turbo is not controlled by the computer. The computer controls things like ignition timing, fuel injector pulse and monitors the knock sensor, air temp sensor, coolant sensor and air flow meter. The turbo is controlled by intake manifold pressure. Hope you understand how all these things work, or else you will take 2 running cars and turn them into 1 big pile of parts... then you'll be back here wondering why things don't work.

thanks you guys are helping alot, i think i know what its all goin to take to swop it, and if someone else has done this?? and if its a good idea or project? i think it would be awsome i have the parts, the knowledge and the help of all you guys if i need it right? i was asking about the computer because, my 86 hatch 4x4 1.8 doesnt have a computer.

thanks

S.S

22B is correct. The EA82 is much wider than the EA81. Because of the cams being in the heads... it adds quite a bit to the width. However, the lack of space is the least of your worries with a project like this. A hammer and torch and welder should be able to fix those. Its the wiring that will kill you. Hope you really understand what you are doing.

Oh, and umong all the other things (the cross member, the exhaust, the transmission) You will also need to install some higher pressure fuel line because the lines for a carburated car are not rated for the increased pressure a Fuel Injected car requires. That, and the fuel pump.

-Brian

p.s.

The turbo is not controlled by the computer. The computer controls things like ignition timing, fuel injector pulse and monitors the knock sensor, air temp sensor, coolant sensor and air flow meter. The turbo is controlled by intake manifold pressure. Hope you understand how all these things work, or else you will take 2 running cars and turn them into 1 big pile of parts... then you'll be back here wondering why things don't work.

The EA82 is not much better than the EA81. It's actually alittle less dependable than the EA81, but the turbo on the EA82 helps it make a tad more power. Alot of people here go for the more dependable EJ22 swap's. I think they fit alittle better, they are more reliable and they definatly make more power. But since you already have a complete Turbo EA82 parts car, this maybe a fun project and you could be the first to pull it off.