Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 xt turbo pics

Merry Christmas to all!!!! And Merry Christmas to ME!! Here's my new 86XT Turbo I just brought home for Christmas. Everythings there, and it all works including the adjustable suspension and digital dash. Only 108,XXX miles. All it needs is a new windshield. Not too bad for $1000 cash.:eek: Runs and drives like a dream!!!:burnout::headbang: I found it on Bellingham Craigslist, I don't know how all you guys missed it, but I'm glad you did. :banana: :banana: :banana: Frank (fshnidiot)

post-21627-136027626071_thumb.jpg

post-21627-136027626073_thumb.jpg

post-21627-136027626074_thumb.jpg

It was probably missed because $1000 is a bit steep for that 86 EA82T flapper MAF doodad under the hood.

That, and XT's that aren't appended with a "6" aren't real desireable. For the same price I could easily get a Legacy that would hand it the slap-up in the 1/4 mile - with no turbo even!

And people avoid the air suspension like the plague....

Personally, the spider intake MPFI N/A XT, and the XT6 are the only ones I would touch with my 10-foot-pole.

Nice looking though, and may increase in value in the comming years. And one of the most aerodynamic body's ever made in the world of production cars.

Keep an eye (or five) on the temp - the XT's especially haven't got the radiator airflow of the other body types, and the EA82T is an eater of all things cooling system and head gasket related.

GD

Johnson']Nice' date=' how's $1000 steep? If it's something you want, get it. Just because you wouldn't buy it doesn't mean you have to *************** on his parade. He seems happy that he owns it.

Good find. Hope it works for ya.[/quote']

My parade is just fine. An 86 XT turbo with a 5 speed, 4wd,108,000 original miles, with all the bells and whistles and they all work, and a spotless interior, I'm a happy camper. :banana: It's got a brand new radiator so I'm not too wooried about flow. I figure as long as I keep up the fluids and don't abuse it that turbo motor will last a long time. After all it is still a Subaru! It sure purrs like a kitten and 110 hp sure feels like alot compared to my EA 81 motors. I want turbo's for both my brats now. Everyone has their opinions on their favorite motors and cars(I'm still a fan of the pushrods over the belts) and I can put a 2.2 in WITH a turbo and leave him and his Leg in my mirror if I so desire. I want the 2.2 for my 82 Brat instead but that's another day. I'm driving a good running little spaceship doorstop and I like it!!! Merry Christmas to all, Frank (fshnidiot)

that's a good car, i approve. have you joined us here yet:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/index.php

all the XT specific information you could want, hope you join us!

it is in your best interest to go over as much of the cooling system as you can. at 20 years old it doesn't matter how well they seem, they need replaced. at the vert least check the water pump bypass, turbo hoses (including the oil lines), heater core hoses and all the related clamps. if the radiator was replaced, then it was probably run hot which does not do good things to gaskets, seals, and hoses. most people don't just randomly replace radiators on 20 year old cars.

Nice find! I don't think $1000 is too much to pay for someting in fine shape. Newer cars seem to be more thinly made than some of the older (even 80's) cars. I paid $1300 for my 86 XT and I feel I'm getting my money's worth. They're great little pod cars (escape pod! :D ) and as long as you don't abuse the temp, you should have no problems.

that's a good car, i approve. have you joined us here yet:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/index.php

all the XT specific information you could want, hope you join us!

it is in your best interest to go over as much of the cooling system as you can. at 20 years old it doesn't matter how well they seem, they need replaced. at the vert least check the water pump bypass, turbo hoses (including the oil lines), heater core hoses and all the related clamps. if the radiator was replaced, then it was probably run hot which does not do good things to gaskets, seals, and hoses. most people don't just randomly replace radiators on 20 year old cars.

I'll be hooked up over there real soon. The previous owner just had the motor resealed in the shop and had them replace all the hoses, clamps,radiator, water pump,timing belt,etc just to be safe as all those parts were 20 years old and due for replacement. Right now that motor is about as tight as they come. I had to replace my 87 Nissan Sentra DD with something since the struts & front brakes are TOAST and I wanted a subie turbo 5 speed w/4wd so I'm completely happy.:) I've already got a new windshield lined up for $249 installed so once that's in I can dispose of the cup 'o noodle car and have 2 Brats and an XT to chose from.:banana::) Frank (fshnidiot)

awesome, look forward to seeing you...and the other guy on the XT forum, it's a great place.

All signed up,waiting conformation. I bet I'm the only nut out washing their car at 8:30 on Christmas morning in 34 degree temps.:eek: Thanks for the XT link, :headbang: Frank (fshnidiot)

All signed up,waiting conformation.
i activated/approved your account, so you're all ready to rock and roll there.

washing their car at 8:30 on Christmas morning in 34 degree
ah! i hope that temp gauge is accurate and the car/air isn't colder. i washed mine once in the winter and the doors froze shut so bad i could not get in. squirted all sorts of de-icer and other stuff all in the locks, around the doors, etc and the handle/door would not budge. i had to let the car sit overnight and luckily the next day was a bright sunny day. it never got above freezing but the sun being out warmed the interior up enough to free whatever was suck. so yeah, careful washing cars in freezing weather...or maybe only older cars are prone to that?

i activated/approved your account, so you're all ready to rock and roll there.

ah! i hope that temp gauge is accurate and the car/air isn't colder. i washed mine once in the winter and the doors froze shut so bad i could not get in. squirted all sorts of de-icer and other stuff all in the locks, around the doors, etc and the handle/door would not budge. i had to let the car sit overnight and luckily the next day was a bright sunny day. it never got above freezing but the sun being out warmed the interior up enough to free whatever was suck. so yeah, careful washing cars in freezing weather...or maybe only older cars are prone to that?

I trust the outside temp sensor on the digital dash. The frost on the windshield had already melted so I figured I was OK. Thanks for activating me! Have a Merry Christmas, I'm off to go open presents!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: Frank (fshnidiot)