Ultimate Subaru Message Board

towing

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt tow anything but a lawn mower with a Subaru.

1) The Brakes on your Subaru suck. They do a good job stopping your wagon, but anything past that is asking for trouble.

Maybe you're brakes suck, mine rock. They have alway reliably and capably stopped my roo, trailer and all.

2) They are FWD Vehicles. You put tongue wieght on the rear end, you remove wieght from the front where your drive axle is... increasing understeer and decreasing braking performance.

Newer soobs are AWD, not FWD. Espescially the manual, which distribute power to all for through a differential full time. The automatic do a good job sending power back as well. So the Drive axle issue you present doesn't apply.

Besides, it' all about the trailer as far a weight on the car is concerned. Even a 2000 Lb trailer, should only have 200lbs of tongue load. Otherwie, it's loaded improperly, which isn't the subarus fault.

Regardless, its not safe, and I wouldnt suggest it.

-Brian

Give me a break. What makes you so ubber qualified to judge what is safe? I'm telling you, oberve safe towing practices and there is no safety concern towing 1500 lbs+ with a Subaru.

Tow with caution by all means. And don't think you can tow a Mobile home. Leave extra braking room and make sure the load is balanced right. (although I have, to move it a few hundred feet)But seriously, If you think towing with a Subaru is "unsafe" you're a scaredy cat

This is the Older Generation Forum. If you want a subaru that can tow, buy a forester, outback or even an impreza.

Im qualified as an uber towing expert becuase its part of my field. I am a heavy equipment mechanic, and as such Ive been trained how to propperly load trailers with equipment and items. Your right, a 2000lb trailer shouldnt have the tongue wieght of more than 200lbs, however your EA81 or EA82 full of fluids wieghs in at 227lbs so you are already canceling out most of the wieght over your drive wheels.

Next time you are towing something... try and come to a sudden stop. See what happens. Lets hope you dont have to steer to avoid hitting something (someone).

-Brian

p.s.

unless youve converted to rear disk's... your brakes suck.

I agree - Subaru's aren't for towing. The only towing that is semi-safe is flat towing another vehicle using a strap as long as the towed vehicle has operable brakes.

If you REALLY had to setup a trailer for use by a Subaru, it would have to be both very light (2000 lbs or lighter) AND have electric trailer brakes. I do not know of any trailers this small that are so equipped but it would not be difficult to build one. They may be for sale, but all the trailers I deal with at work that are generally larger, and MUCH heavier (10,000 lbs+) are equipped with electric brakes.

I also deal with this stuff every day. I setup single and tandem axle trailers to suit the needs of various types of rental equipment ranging from 1,000 to 20,000 lbs dry weight (not including trailer, or fuel) as part of my overall duties.

Ultimately, lots of people do it and get away with it. But it's not the everyday driving that will bite you. It's the emergency stops, or the hard swerve to miss a stray dog, etc that will hurt you. Control under these circumstances is imperative, and it simply cannot be achieved with the weight of a Subaru unless you are towing something so light that it could probably either be stowed in the back, or strapped to the roof anyway.

The point is that just because you have done it, and nothing has happened, doesn't make it a wise thing to advise others to do.

Strapping the trailer to the roof rack though..... :banana:

GD

" however your EA81 or EA82 full of fluids wieghs in at 227lbs " where did you find that number? and where's the proof??

" and as such Ive been trained how to propperly load trailers with equipment and items. " what do you load, onto what, and what do you use to load??

used to stack 4 high manure spreaders on a flatbed trailer using a tractor + loader and a skidloader

and i asked because i wanted to know if it had something to do with you being an employe.because that makes you qualified.

What exactly does being an "employe.because" (whatever the hell that is :rolleyes:) have to do with anything?

And for your information pal, Brian was one of the founding principles of this fine forum. He also was an "employe.because", to use your quaint, misspelled/ill-punctuated version of the term, for a very long time.

GD

Yeah i knew it was around 200lbs off the top of my head. Rick came through and verified by looking it up for me in the FSM. 1983 EA81 model. Im sure the EA82 is slightly heavier, but not by much.

And im not an employee. Im just a regular member as you are, just been here for a very long time.

Ive never towed anything with my subaru. Im too much of a "scardy cat" as some would say.

what do you load, onto what, and what do you use to load??

I load Skid Steers. Scissor lifts. Smaller John Deere tractors. My previous position before a mechanic was a Lead Yardman (foreman) for United Rentals. Ive been trained on how to inspect, load, operate and safely manouver trailers loaded and empty. You should see some of the 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton trucks Ive had to deny service too. There's no way in hell I would allow a Subaru to tow anything out of our yard... not even a 13hp tiller on a small utility trailer.

GeneralDisorderQuote:

Originally Posted by silverracerkh2005

and i asked because i wanted to know if it had something to do with you being an employe.because that makes you qualified.

What exactly does being an "employe.because" (whatever the hell that is :rolleyes:) have to do with anything?

And for your information pal, Brian was one of the founding principles of this fine forum. He also was an "employe.because", to use your quaint, misspelling/ill-punctuated version of the term, for a very long time.

GD

I did not insult him. I complemented him. I meant since he's been here so long he knows more! why do you always fight with me? Hows my grammer now? Do I get an a? pleeeeese. lol

subiemech85" however your EA81 or EA82 full of fluids wieghs in at 227lbs " where did you find that number? and where's the proof??

" and as such Ive been trained how to propperly load trailers with equipment and items. " what do you load, onto what, and what do you use to load??

used to stack 4 high manure spreaders on a flatbed trailer using a tractor + loader and a skidloader

I didn't realy belive that either,as I have heard different since I've been a member.But I didn't want to start an arguement, As I've been in couple of those with gd lately.

GeneralDisorderQuote:

And for your information pal, Brian was one of the founding principles of this fine forum. He also was an "employe.because", to use your quaint, misspelling/ill-punctuated version of the term, for a very long time.

GD

I did not insult him. I complemented him. I meant since he's been here so long he knows more! why do you always fight with me? Hows my grammer now? Do I get an a? pleeeeese. lol

Everyone comes here on equal ground. My policy is to assume that everyone is equal to me unless they prove otherwise.

It was Samuel Clemens that said: "It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt."

GD

TheSubaruJunkieSilver..... if your not going to contribute to a thread, try not posting in it. Thats kinda like interupting a conversation.

thanks,

-Brian

I am contributing. Read my first few posts .I also donate money to USMB. I was not the trouble maker. And should'nt be told to shutup. GD please stop insulting me everywhere I go.Tear apart what I say if you must.But stop with the personal attacks. As I know since you've been here longer and are friends with Brian, I will prob be booted for defending myself.

I didn't knwo the EA82 EXISTED in '83 :eek:

EA71 216 lb EA81 209 lb SOURCE: p. 2-2 of edition april 1984 reprint MSA - 111 publication No. Sm76TUS

" Ive never towed anything with my subaru. Im too much of a "scardy cat" as some would say. " and I tend to call those types of people CHICKEN, or in your case a dog that needs a martini :lol:

PROPERLY adjusted DRUM brakes STOP fine

I bought a 590lb trailer to use behind my wagon, and it went fine pulling it home on the interstate @ 60 mph., even with a weak slipping clutch!

I am in the process of adding electric brakes to the trailer, it's gvwr is 2720 lbs.

MilesFox "it can tow a trailer in a blizzard and is quite handy for towing my cars around with a tow bar."

he also did towing using only the e-brake to stop

I am contributing. Read my first few posts .I also donate money to USMB. I was not the trouble maker. And should'nt be told to shutup.

SHUT UP!

EA71 216 lb EA81 209 lb SOURCE: p. 2-2 of edition april 1984 reprint MSA - 111 publication No. Sm76TUS

Thanks. That only further proves my point. And I was using the EA81 as refference. Is that 209lbs wet or dry? I dont feel like pulling my FSM out, but just wanted to elaborate at just how light our vehicles are. And it wont take much to push you into another vehicle.

I bought a 590lb trailer to use behind my wagon, and it went fine pulling it home on the interstate @ 60 mph., even with a weak slipping clutch!

I'll make sure to give you plenty of room if I ever see you on the road.

As stated before. Plenty of people out there have towed with their subaru's. I expect more people to reply with "Ive done it, ive never wrecked" than those with common sence who will say "read your manual... what does it say?"

BTW, thanks Milesfox for that quote.

So yeah, unless its a lawn mower or a dirt bike... i wouldnt risk towing it. And when I say lawn mower, i mean like a riding lawn mower.

-Brian

TheSubaruJunkieQuote:

I am contributing. Read my first few posts .I also donate money to USMB. I was not the trouble maker. And should'nt be told to shutup.

SHUT UP!

No I will not leave with my tail between my legs,when I've done nothing wrong! Now if I'm not picked on anymore I won't have to post in this thread agian.But I will not sit and be picked on without responding.I think it's cool you been here so long,but that dosen't give you the right to pick on peeps.

Quote:

I'll make sure to give you plenty of room if I ever see you on the road.

As stated before. Plenty of people out there have towed with their subaru's. I expect more people to reply with "Ive done it, ive never wrecked" than those with common sence who will say "read your manual... what does it say?"

BTW, thanks Milesfox for that quote.

So yeah, unless its a lawn mower or a dirt bike... i wouldnt risk towing it. And when I say lawn mower, i mean like a riding lawn mower.

-Brian

I agree.