Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going to be stripping the parts car...what do you think I should grab?

Ok, so my wife just bought us an 86 Loyale thats bare bones car. No options but the vehicle also comes with a parts car that is loaded but has blown motor.

What all do you think I should grab from it?

Power window regulators, motors controller and loom

Power locks actuators (including trunk release) controller and loom

I believe the Wagon she is driving is carbed and that the engine in the parts car is SPFI so I have the conversion manual for that.

Door cards

Interior reading lamps

What else could I want?

Ok, so my wife just bought us an 86 Loyale thats bare bones car. No options but the vehicle also comes with a parts car that is loaded but has blown motor.

What all do you think I should grab from it?

Power window regulators, motors controller and loom

Power locks actuators (including trunk release) controller and loom

I believe the Wagon she is driving is carbed and that the engine in the parts car is SPFI so I have the conversion manual for that.

Door cards

Interior reading lamps

What else could I want?

Ignition tumbler

extra set of brake parts are always nice if they're in good shape

radiator fan (electric)

I don't know enough about your model to say about the ignition parts like distributor, ignition module etc..

Anything that looks in better shape than what you've got eh?

yeah I suppopse it kind of makes sense to grab parts that I already have but might need to replace eh? didn't think of that.

So lights as well, Door handles wouldn't go astray either. Dash clock. Brakes, although I kind of plan on doing a 5lug conversion and also rear disc conversion with upgraded fronts.

But keep the ideas rolling.

Which car body is in better shape. If the one with the blown motor has a better body or a body in similar condition why not just swap the good motor into the highly optioned car and cut your work down by a ton. You wouldnt even have to do any rewiring for SPFI if you go that route. But since you havent mentioned it im assuming the bare bones car is fairly nice and the SPFI blown car is shot.

Are the two cars close enough in years and body style that the front fenders and bumpers are transferable? And even if the motor is bad, grab the alternator and battery and anything else that comes off easily. If you're ever planning on lifting something in the future, grab the steering rod. What kind of transmission is in it? A D/R 5 speed? If so, save it. You might as well save the differential. You might want to weld one up in the future.

Kanuter valve...lol Yeah, I'll grab that along with the cross drilled and vented stainless steel brake lines eh?

Figured I'd grab the muffler bearings while I'm at it.

can't forget the 710 Cap.

Johnson Rod, Piston return spring, Clutch Belt also I think it recently had it's wiper blades sharpened so I think I will grab that also. Anything else?

the bare bones car is a wagon and needs some tlc and the optioned car is a sedan that needs some TLC and I REALLY prefer the wagons. Hence my reasoning for that.

take the sedan engine,remove intake and egr piping from exh. sideports,plug egr holes in carb'd heads with thin stock,no biggie-two 10mm bolts each side-easy-done-drop intake on with fresh gaskets,finish the job and you have an SPFI formerly carb'd engine.Will run fine,ours did.Be smart to maybe save and/or transfer certain harnesses but its a real drop 'n go deal.

Have fun! Wagons,yes. :burnout:

just edited....if you haven't done this kind of work before it's easy.Just put your SPFI intake up on the spare tire deck with everythnig still hooked up.A/C and P/S can just be unbolted and moved off to the sides without losing any fluid,freon...let us know if you need more details.