Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EEEK

Skip, he lost a universal joint on the driveshaft, and ripped out the second O2 sensor.

From what i can tell you need a used driveshaft, and a rear o2 sensor. The O2 sensor can be a generic one (read cheap) from any wutoparts store. the driveshaft can be had from a junk yard.

It's not that terrible, assuming thats all the damage. I cant see what condition the exhaust system is in.

nipper

Thanks Nipper, got em.

and

You are absolutly correct.

he says "171000 miles AT trany"

Looks nasty.

CIMG0032.JPG

1997outback:

I would try car-part.com for the shaft and carrier bearing.

The rear 02 sesnor can be generic and is not that expensive.

I guess the cat survived.

As Nipper says, you could fix this in your driveway.

Thats about right, though if your mechanically inclined this is something you can do in your driveway.

Did you notice any odd vibarions before this happened?

How many miles are on the car?

nipper

yeah there was noise and virbarions i was hoping to last till monday to get it checked out 172,000

:eek: i wouldnt drive the car like that, i suggest you fix the universal first before moving that car anywhere... again from a junk yard it should be 100 bucks for the universal and a new O2 sensor for 40 to 50 bucks. The universal is super easy to change so is the O2 sensor, the only problem is getting that huge heat shield off from the middle of the car ( got rid of mine)

good luck

:eek: i wouldnt drive the car like that, i suggest you fix the universal first before moving that car anywhere... again from a junk yard it should be 100 bucks for the universal and a new O2 sensor for 40 to 50 bucks. The universal is super easy to change so is the O2 sensor, the only problem is getting that huge heat shield off from the middle of the car ( got rid of mine)

good luck

two words, Tow Truck.

The OP does not know how lucky he is.

nipper

nipper, we gotta talk! :lol:

Its easy. AAA from one state does not talk to another. I have AAA gold. So I got towed from PA to the 100 mile limit, into the NJ line. From there another call to NJ AAA, tow to the 100 mile max, someplace in ny. Then another call to NY AAA and that got me home :).

Its not fast, but for free slow is fine.

A AAA tow truck driver in PA told me this trick.

It was disturbing, he said i looked to purty to be stranded in the middle of PA on a sunday.

He did have a sort of handsome tooth in his head

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I could of sworn I heard banjos.....

nipper

It's only 6 bolts and an O2 sensor. You can do this yourself with a set of wrenches in your driveway.

if the rest of the drive shaft was removed he could back it out on tio the street, but it will want to leak trans fluid and you can't drive it any distance because it would lose all the fluid.

either the o2 sensor is broken in half, or the threaded bung is busted, which would need welding???

Thanks Nipper, got em.

and

You are absolutly correct.

he says "171000 miles AT trany"

Looks nasty.

CIMG0032.JPG

1997outback:

I would try car-part.com for the shaft and carrier bearing.

The rear 02 sesnor can be generic and is not that expensive.

I guess the cat survived.

As Nipper says, you could fix this in your driveway.

the cat did not survive!! another $500. i dont have the time or the know how to fix this, the plan is to fix this issues are sale. i paid $3000 last march. do you guys thing i could get that much to this car?

Why? Once a soobie is fixed, its fixed for at least another 100,000 miles. Keep the car and drive it.

And just put it under the school of hard knocks, dont ignore a driveline vibration.

BTW 500.00 for a cat is not bad. Ask the mechanic where he is getting it from. If its Eastern, tell him to get it some place else.

nipper