Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running My EA81 W/No Exhaust.

I have a catless Y Pipe on my EA81. Bolted up to the heads with the Gaskets installed, runs back about two feet then joins. I wanna drive my Hatch over to tha muffler shop about one mile away and have the rest of the exhaust installed.Aside from all the noise, can I safely do this without hurting the engine/valve train?

I have a catless Y Pipe on my EA81. Bolted up to the heads with the Gaskets installed, runs back about two feet then joins. I wanna drive my Hatch over to tha muffler shop about one mile away and have the rest of the exhaust installed.Aside from all the noise, can I safely do this without hurting the engine/valve train?

For just 1 mile? No sweat I'd say

I know you guys have seen a million of them, but I gotta show you my new Hatch...CL again. Got it up around Bremerton last week. I snaged this one up so fast, edrach didn't even have time to link it to our Market Place.:lol:

hatch.jpg

Again... I HATE you people up in the PNW!! :slobber:

I saw my first Hatch in SWMO on the weekend... only thing holding the front half to the back half was the roof, passenger rocker panel and the fuel lines down the driver's side... whole floor rusted out

I ripped my system off behind the cat (and it was a "gutless" cat) on the trails and drove it home for about 20 or so miles through two little quiet towns with very strict officers. Lucky I didn't get a ticket but seems to have done no harm.

Backfired alot though..... loud. hehe

And that is a sweet little hatch. :)

I can attest to that! It rattles your brain, kinda like driving a NASCAR, but with out the power and speed :lol:

ROFL love it

Nice looking Hatch markjw!

i bought the magnaflow y pipe and then found Bosal Brospeed subie performance muffler on the bay of e, makes my E82 sound like an STi

i love the way boxer engines sound!!

Is this shop going to install an exhaust on a car with no catalytic converter??

This IS Yelm. I just dropped it off about twenty minutes ago..I told him it had a Y pipe and a muffler and asked that he just connect the two. He didn't even flinch..I gave him my keys and he said come back in two hours. We'll see. It sounded Great...At first it was kinda nasty 'cause that engine hasn't ran in a long time...It seattled down quick thou. I drained the Gas Tank this morning and added 5 gal of new gas. Man, 9 yr old gas really has a diffrent smell. Thats how long this Hatch sat in the PO barn. Needed a clutch adjustment but other than that,ran Great. Loud Too.

The shop did a Great job. He cut out the resonator, something about it was giving him a problem..Never even mentioned the Cat. They did see the Weber I just installed and when I mentioned opening up the exhaust, everybody just smiled and knoded in agreement. It is SO much quicker than my wagon, which is also weberized. I'm stoked.

Paying 100+ for high flow cat on a car that cost $200 is beyond me. I'll leave em on the shelf for the honda race car guys. :Flame:

That is one clean Hatch nice find :banana:

Why you guys run without one is beyond me. Replacing the original with a new, high flow cat makes better sense.

Why you guys run without one is beyond me. Replacing the original with a new, high flow cat makes better sense.

Only reason I don't run one is they keep getting destroyed off-roading. (once you cave them in the only thing the guts are good for is clogging your muffler)

And as that is the primary use of my GL, it makes sense to quit putting new ones on. I have a brand new one sitting on the bench awaiting an install right now. It will come back off once DEQ gives me my new tags.

I'd love to keep it clean, but a new cat every other time I drive the car gets old. (I'm not gentle on it)