Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crazy high oil pressure

Hi This is Jerry, if it's not the wire then your oil pump bypass is stuck. Pull the pump there is a spring with a steel ball in it, if the spring is broke or something is in there not letting the ball to move not good. BTW get a oil pump reseal kit before you remove the pump. Thanks Jerry

Also - just to check the wireing for certain - does it read full pressure when the engine is not running but the ignition is on? If so you still have a grounding issue or the sender itself has malfunctioned internally.

If not definately follow Jerry's advice and remove the pump. DO NOT drive the car till it's fixed or you risk internal engine damage.

GD

removing the pump won't show you anything.

you can examine bypass check ball by simply removing the oil filter. It is visible right there. In fact, if the valve and spring need removed, the cap for it is accesable on the underside of the pump, without removing the timing covers or the pump.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine has been doing that too, but only when it's first starting - once it warms-up, it goes down to normal. It's a new OEM pump, too (well, I guess it's a year old now ... ack!) Just started a couple days ago.

Mine is the same way. Goes up to about 75psi (however acurate the gauge is) after starting and drops to more normal levels after a couple minutes.

Hovers around 25 and goes to 50 if I'm revving it.

got it all worked out ran a 1/2 can of seafoam in the oil for about a week changed the oil (chucked the ************ty NAPA oil filter and put a K&N filter on there and it stoped ticking "stuck tappet or lifter") and now she runs like a top!!! Davalos and TeamCF try running like a 5w30 in there and a k&N or Fram filter, thay seem to work the best for me i know if i use a napa filter i have a lifter tick and super high oil pressure soo good luck to you guys and thanks to everone that helped me out on this. You guy that are on USMB keep up the good advice you guys rock.

Thanks again

Captin

mine did it a couple weeks ago. it has always read @45 psi. under normal driving.(mobil 1 synthetic)

Your stereo looks like mine used to look, hehe!

I'm gonna do the seafoam/deisel flush here this weekend. See how well that works. She needs a new change anyway.

This TOTALLY wouldn't bug me if it were the gas gague doing that! I'd be like "Yeah, baby!!"

Your stereo looks like mine used to look, hehe!

I'm gonna do the seafoam/deisel flush here this weekend. See how well that works. She needs a new change anyway.

This TOTALLY wouldn't bug me if it were the gas gague doing that! I'd be like "Yeah, baby!!"

Sharp!!!!!!!!, its in the works,you know:grin:

try running like a 5w30 in there and a k&N or Fram filter, thay seem to work the best for me i know if i use a napa filter i have a lifter tick and super high oil pressure

You don't want to start an oil filter war with those words. Fram is sworn by many people to be the worst brand of oil filters. My wagon ticked like a mother trucker when I bought it, and it had a Fram filter. I don't know if it was changing the oil filter or the oil, but it stopped ticking. I run cheap Chevron 10W-30 and Nippon Denso filters. Used to run Napa filters until I got a crap load of these Nippons from a shop back near my mom's house.

I'm not going to say Frams are necessarily bad (though I'll never run them after I've seen the insides of one), if they work for you, then they work for you, but don't swear by them.

Mine is the same way. Goes up to about 75psi (however acurate the gauge is) after starting and drops to more normal levels after a couple minutes.

Hovers around 25 and goes to 50 if I'm revving it.

Thats normal on a cold engine in winter. The oil is really thick. My 1987 used to peg the gauge till the oil warmed up.

nipper