Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VIN Error???

I have a 93 Loyale and according to the VIN its a 4WD. However at the Subaru Dealership one of the parts men got down and checked between her rear legs and said she was a two wheel drive.

I thought all Loyales were either 4WD or AWD. Anyone ever heard of a VIN mistake.

Rick

is it an automatic or manual? it seems likely that it's a FWD since you don't note any obvious 4WD indicators...like pushbutton, badges, or anything else. you can't tell by driving it - does it ever "peel out" "screech tires" or "get stuck"? but there are a few possibilities.

the vehicle may have one time been an AWD and is now a FWD.

it may be an AWD with the rear stuff removed...depends what "she looked at between the legs". it's possible to remove the rear diff and axles and still drive it.

it could be a FWD.

or maybe there are mutliple VIN's on your car (unlikely). where did you pull the VIN from? is it identical everywhere? there's the unlikely chance that the part you pulled the VIN from is different than the rest of the car....like the dash, etc.

My Loyale is a 2WD

The Loyales came either as a 2WD, 4WD (single range), or 4WD (dual range) The four-wheel Loyale was exactly that too... 4X4, and is different than the AWD that you can drive on pavement.

The four-wheel drive versions are primarily FRONT wheel drive, of course until you engage the 4X4.

As was mentioned above, if theres a rear differenial in the back, she's 4X4

As for a VIN error.... I highly doubt that. Somebody couldve MADE it into a 2wd FROM a 4WD ... but I also highly doubt that.

Any pics?

It would not be a "mistake". If it's not 4WD, then the vehicle has been modified, or the dash is not original.

Look at the VIN on the title. That's the only one that matters. It sucks if that says it's a 4WD and it's not because insurance companies will insure it according to the VIN, and they charge more for 4WD's.

My 2WD wagon that's been converted to 4WD is cheaper than a real 4WD to insure. I even tried to tell them it was 4WD now (I converted it)..... they just said "we go by the VIN" and wouldn't listen to me. Their loss I suppose.

GD

Thanks for the input. As to the questions; As you can tell I am not a mechanical type like some of you wizards, but even I can see there is no axle or cross connecting piece between the two rear tires. It looks like the frame does a wishbone thing slightly aft of mid-beam and each arm of the wishbone go back to the rear wheels.

So I think I am safe in saying this car is definitely two wheel drive. So if the dash board was not from another Loyale then I would have to think the VIN is in error.

Thanks again

So if the dash board was not from another Loyale then I would have to think the VIN is in error.

Thanks again

The car could EASILY have been converted to 2WD. Actually much easier than converting to 4WD.

There is NO WAY the VIN is a "mistake". It simply could not happen. Either the car WAS 4WD, or the dash was FROM a 4WD. It's that simple.

Check the VIN on the firewall - that one can't be changed.

GD

There is NO WAY the VIN is a "mistake". It simply could not happen.

It could be the place his is checking his vin against. Are you using carfax or something like that to check your vin? Mistakes happen, even with Subaru. I get sent wrong parts and stuff like that because of "VIN Accuracy." E.G. I order a timing tensioner for a '97 Legacy based on the VIN and they sent me a once piece.. When I opened up the timing covers it ended up being a two piece.

Check your dash VIN, door VIN (drivers side door), and firewall vin (may be covered in grease, etc) and verify that all your vins are the same. If all of your vins are the same it is unlikely anything has been changed.. however it would be very easy and cheaper to replace a bad 4wd tranny with a good 2wd tranny. I seem to think that all "4wd" loyales have some kind of badging/decals to that effect..