Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's a balmy -17C out there this AM, and I am having an electrical "problem" that I could use a bit of help with, on my '91 Legacy.

We are just about far enough into the winter that the inside of my car remains damp, snow tracked in, heater melts, etc.

What I'm seeing is frost on the inside of my windows in the morning, from the accumulated moisture inside, making it's very own weather inside the car, closed up and cooled overnight.

When I go to start up in the AM, the car won't start, it appears that the fuel pump is not working. What I do is, heat the interior, with an electric plug in heater, and once the car warms up a bit inside, all is well.

An added "bonus" to this pre-heating is the TCM works properly, and I don't get a "duty C" fault, first thing.

Any "quick and dirty" ideas? It is too cold out in "God's garage" to mess with this thing.

Thanks in advance for any ideas (short of hauling the dash/wiring out for a look-see, because it isn't going to happen until it warms up)

When I go to start up in the AM, the car won't start, it appears that the fuel pump is not working.

What causes you to think it's the fuel pump?

This idea is a bit far flung, bit it could work if you're problem really is too much moisture. Get a shallow pan (or two or three) and fill it with silica gel which absorbs moisture, like this stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Storage-Silica-Gel-Dehumidifier/dp/B000NI6YWM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1203683108&sr=8-8

...and leave it in your car at night

Might work. Also, if you have A/C, turn it on while you drive around as that will dehumidify as well (with the heat on of course;) )

Good Luck!

Will-

I am just wondering how warming the interior of the car is going to help the fuel pump, which is in the tank??? :confused:

just doesnt compute? there has to be something else going on here...

also, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the "defrost" function tied to the AC system? if this is true, then using the "def/heat" mode would help reduce the moisture problem as well??

I assume from your statements about the trouble that the engine is turning over but just not firing up. I also assume that the ignition has been checked and is working also so you are down to a fuel delivery problem. If that is the case then I would check the fuel pump relay for a problem. It is the kind of thing that can be effected by temperature. Tapping on it while the trouble is occurring may prove it.

You don't happen to operate this vehicle

with the HVAC system in "re-circulate"

a large part of the time do you?

Do you have a sunroof?

As a side note: I used to do the same trick.

I had a 1500 Watt "cube" heater mounted

in the car. (metal pedestal)

Plugged into a timer it would

make the car nice and toasty.

Then I wised up and got a remote starter.

Pennies in gas vs pennies in 'trisity.

also, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the "defrost" function tied to the AC system? if this is true, then using the "def/heat" mode would help reduce the moisture problem as well??

Check your manual for severe weather adjustments while using your interior heater/defroster. My Impreza manual gives specific settings for cold temp defogging which includes using the A/C to get the interior air as dry as possible to reduce nightly interior frost-up. Don't worry, you'll still get nice and toasty once your engine's hot.

A side bonus is getting your A/C seals lubed at the same time, something you'll be grateful for when you kick it on sometime in the summer.

Your gas mileage goes in the toilet, but you won't have to sit on a white frosty seat in the AM - or spend as much time scraping the INSIDE of your windshield as you do the outer.

Not to mention avoiding the very favorite occurrence (not):dead: of the window glass deciding to seal itself iced/weathertite to the INSIDE edge of the molding, where warm water won't reach it...