Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake line developed a leak on my Brat

Came home yesterday and my Brat had a puddle of brake fluid under the master cylinder. Put some rags under the master cylinder for the night and today it has another puddle under it. Guessing that one of the steel lines below the hill holder has sprung a leak. Does anyone know where I might find a diagram of the lines, part numbers, if it is the same as other EA-81s or anything on these lines?

Ben, another place I have seen leak is the 0 ring under the bell crank wheel on the hill holder.

Be a shame to replace a line and have it not be the leak.

My parts manual shows all the brake pipe part numbers

I will scan the page and send it to you if need be.

Email me if this is the problem.

I lose almost all my brake fluid when the brat sits for a while.

I have a leak from the same area..

My brakes have always felt "spongy" could a hole in one of the lines cause a spongy feeling, but take a long time to actually get to point of leaking, then, leak a lot?

I am thinking I have to replace my brake booster, master cylinder etc.. no big deal, as I have two or three junk cars at my disposal.

Any thoughts?

Mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

You have got to isolate the problem before you fix it!

I have a leak in the same general area too. Because I have no fenders it's easy to see what is leaking. I need to replace the line that goes from the upper cylinder to the lower splitter.:mad:

A new steel line is no big deal the duplicate and replace, if that's the problem? Cutting an old line and putting a new section is also not hard!

Find out where the leak is!;)

Good luck,

Glenn

Here's the odd thing. The Brat has completely stopped leaking brake fluid for the past 3 days. Thought that maybe it was b/c it had warmed up but it was darn cold last night. Not a drop. Funny thing is the hill holder arrived today from CCR. Any ideas out there?

I just thought one of my lines was leaking, but it was the rear of the master cylinder. The fluid ran straight down the booster and on to the brakeline and then flowed down it to the point it dripped off. Looked like a line till I looked real close.

Todd