Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Left headlight burns out, explodes in lens

I have a 1993 Subaru Loyale and the left (driver side) headlight has been replaced 4 times in the last two months. It keeps going out. When I removed it, the glass has shattered. I have been very careful not to touch the glass with my fingers. About 12 months ago the right side went out and I replaced that one and it still runs fine.

Another related fact is that my left fturn signal flashes faster than the right one. I just learned today that the left turn signal light in front is also out which I have hear causes the flasher to flash faster. I will replace that bulb today. Could this also be causing the headlight to explode?

:-\

I have a 1993 Subaru Loyale and the left (driver side) headlight has been replaced 4 times in the last two months. It keeps going out. When I removed it, the glass has shattered. I have been very careful not to touch the glass with my fingers. About 12 months ago the right side went out and I replaced that one and it still runs fine.

Another related fact is that my left fturn signal flashes faster than the right one. I just learned today that the left turn signal light in front is also out which I have hear causes the flasher to flash faster. I will replace that bulb today. Could this also be causing the headlight to explode?

:-\

As to your flasher question...no; shouldn't be related.

However, check the voltage output of your alternator at 2000 to 4000 rpm. If the voltage regulator is shot, voltage greater than 15V is produced and could cause both the headlight bulb as well as flasher bulb to burn out.

Also have your battery checked; it acts as a large capacitor on the electrical system (as well as starting your car). If it's bad, it could let voltage spikes pass through and damage your lighting system.

Potentially it could take out your ECU also. Time to have someone thoroughly check out the alternator and battery.

I had this problem on my camaro. The right front turn signal burned out and it was shattered. I went through a big puddle and it splashed up. The only thing i could think of is that the bulb was very hot and got some cold water splashed on it. Not sure if that is what happened but I couldnt think of anything else.

As to your flasher question...no; shouldn't be related.

However, check the voltage output of your alternator at 2000 to 4000 rpm. If the voltage regulator is shot, voltage greater than 15V is produced and could cause both the headlight bulb as well as flasher bulb to burn out.

Also have your battery checked; it acts as a large capacitor on the electrical system (as well as starting your car). If it's bad, it could let voltage spikes pass through and damage your lighting system.

Potentially it could take out your ECU also. Time to have someone thoroughly check out the alternator and battery.

Whoa!!!!! Slow down a minute. The flasher will blink fast when one bulb is out or not working from poor ground, etc.. So that's easy.

The headlight blowing out sounds like the relay may be shorted.

Or the other thing it could be is the connector to the bulb itself.

You're not using high intensity bulbs are you? Those can overload the stock wiring.

Whoa!!!!! Slow down a minute. The flasher will blink fast when one bulb is out or not working from poor ground, etc.. So that's easy.

You're not using high intensity bulbs are you? Those can overload the stock wiring.

I replaced the turn signal bulb and the flasher flashes normally now.

As for the headlight, I noticed that there is a bunch of condensation trapped inside the lens. There was water on the lip of the rubber gasket seat when I removed the old bulb. Are there drian holes int he lens assembly to allow moisture to drain away?

Perhaps it is clogged on mine. Anyway, I am going to remove the lens assembly and get rid of the water.

I haven't been using anything other than regular Sylvania 9004, exactly what was originally in the car.

The water inside the lens is the cause of the bulb shattering. The moisture hitting the very hot glass will destroy it.

The lens should be sealed and not have any exposure to the outside. If you want to clear out the moisture without removing the lens you could use a hair dryer to heat up the lens and dry it out. Check the seal on the plug and make sure it is ok so moisture can't get back in. If it is ok and moisture still gets back inside then there may be a hidden crack in the lens somewhere.

The water inside the lens is the cause of the bulb shattering. The moisture hitting the very hot glass will destroy it.

This can be true. However, here in Oregon, I've seen and had many GLs with water in the headlight. Some so bad, a visible waterline sloshes around. And still, those Headlights don't blow 4 bulb in 2 months.

Seperating the glass from the Housing is more involved than simply removing those clips. It is bonded tightly with adhesive. IIRC, baking them at 200 degree in the oven will soften the glue for removal. However I doubt that is nessecary.

I think you need to check the Headlight relay under the dash.

here's an experiment. put a new bulb in there, and every time it rains, before you turn the lights on, go out and un plug that bulb.

I had this problem with my blue lifted wagon. no visible crack in the lens, no noticeable moisture inside the headlight assembly. but if I turned the lights on while it was raining, it would only take a few seconds before it would explode. But if I went out, and un plugged the bulb, and then drove around all day in the rain, then plugged it in again when it was dry, the bulb would remain in tact.

I finally bought a 'new' headlight (thanks xoomer!), and the problem went away entirely.

I fail to see how the headlight relay has anything to do with it.

If if it has an internal short, or has a fried connection, it can cause the bulbs to be overloaded. I'm telling you, water in the light is very common. It can contribute to blown bulb for sure, but Blowing 4 headlight in 2 months means something else is going on.

My guesses are the 2 place where there are major connection in this circuit. One is the plug for the bulb, which is easily inspected, and I assume after 4 bulb change something bad would have been noticed. So the other is the HL relay, under the dash, left of the column, attached to a bracket with 4 relays.

IIRC the HL relays will be the ones with the blue and black plugs. Don't remeber which is which, but jut turn on the light and unplug one to see which light goes out. Inspect the plug for any signs of heat or corbon.

If if it has an internal short, or has a fried connection, it can cause the bulbs to be overloaded. which light goes out.

Gloyal,

I'm not sure what you mean by overloaded unless you are saying that both the low and high beams will be on at the same time. Is that what you mean by overloaded?

Glen

I guess that' the wrong description.

The relay supplies the 12v. If the relay has a short, the bulb will act as a fuse (more like a fusible link actually) and eventually burn out.

If it otherwise has too much reistance, from burnt contacts, it lowers the available amperage on that circuit. The bulb tries to draw full power, but doesn't get it.

This causes the wire to get hot, and the bulb to operate in an inefficient range, which isn't good for bulb longevity.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I know that poor connection on the HL circuit will blow bulbs.

but Blowing 4 headlight in 2 months means something else is going on.

no, it really doesn't. I was blowing them at at least that rate before I replaced the headlight in my '88. and then went more than a year before I sold it without replacing the bulb again.

Well I took the lens assembly out today, turned it over an about 2 cups of water came out of it.

I suspect that it was the water simply for the fact that the glass was shattered every time. usually when an electrical overload blows a bulb, the glass doesn't shatter.

Also, I came accross this from the car talk guys:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20070106/ai_n17106271

At this point I am suspicious that there is a crack in the lens itself and not the seal. I am going to test this theory once it is dry by filling the kitchen sink half way up the thickness of the lens and putting the lens assembly inverted into this water. If after say an hour I have water in it, I can presume I have a crack, otherwise I can presume it is the seal.

Does anyone know if they sell these things new somewhere?

Well after I baked the lens assembly, I figured out why I had water in the lens. There was a tiny hole in the lens. It looks almost like someone shot it with a bb gun but the hole is too small. It must have been a rock hit. I would post a picture but I don't know how.

Now I am a bit of a cheapskate, so I am wondering if there is some sort of stuff I can put on the lens to seal the hole. Or do I have to buy a completely new assembly for this?

yea, little silicone would work pretty well.

otherwise, just post it up in the wanted section. I bet you could get a good one for a decent price (in fact, I've got a good one in the shed, let me check which side it is tomorrow....)

• 3 years later...

hey i know this is an old post guys, but i just installed sylvania superstar zxe bulbs for my headlights . and i was just kinda curious if those were "high intensity bulbs" lol . dont want them to blow out .

and as for removing the glass from the housing, what should i reseal it with ? i have a bunch of dirt in my drivers side and a bunch of moss and condensation in my pass. side. i wanna take them off an clean em so i get some better visibility .

its an 88 gl