Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 Sensor Seized Wont Unthread

:mad: Well it does move about 3/4 of a rotation,and I believe that the internally exposed threads are caked with 20+ years of cacah. I did use h heat gun (inspired by NUG's unappreciated tool thread). and got it to turn a bit. I was in the middle of doing the lift,so I took a break to change the coolant temp sensor/O2 sensor on the down pipe(stock+hollowed out)I got it to move 3/4 turn and kept threading it back in,then out,then in ,then out with no progression.

The new bosch 02 sensor has antisieze on there for a reason.

What would you do?

(1) keep soaking it in pb blaster?(maybe drill a small hole into the threads from the top)?

(2) Soak it ,crank on it till it snaps?

(3) grind it off, drill it out tap/chase the threads? I was hessatant ,:confused: although this was what I was tempted to do, after heating it didnt make a differance, but was affraid of getting fragments around the turbo.

What do you guys think??????????????????/

roxy_lift_159.JPG

o2_sensor.jpg

If this car was mine i would start it and let the Y pipe get really hot. Then try to unthread it. If that doesnt work spray it with PB blaster. Let it sit overnight. Spray again the next day and then try again. If you see movement then there is definate hope.

I've got a propane torch for a reason bro! +1 for the heat an crank routine... probably will still be worth chasing the threads after just to be sure. Worst case I'm sure you could cut that off and get Micky to weld a new boss on there for another O2 sensor??

If you're doing the heat and crank route, this is what I'd also do.

After getting the 02 sensor nice and hot (almost cherry red would be ideal), take the heat away and spray some PB Blaster on the sensor itself to help cool it down faster then the bung. This causes the 20+ years of corrosion to break apart due to the 02 sensor shrinking when cooled and then it'll start to turn more and more. The heat gun won't get it near hot enough to get it to do that unfortunatly. Propane torch or a small rose bud tip on a oxy-acetylene would be best.

The heat gun will get it hot enough - but not fast enough. What you want to do is heat the pipe AROUND the O2 sensor - ideally using an oxy-torch - you need a LOT of heat, and you need it NOW. But a mapp gas hand held might work as well. You are trying to expand the threads so you can get the O2 out - if you heat the O2 it will expand and be more difficult to unthread. Heat the pipe - ice the sensor if you have to. It will come out.

GD

I've got a propane torch for a reason bro! +1 for the heat an crank routine... probably will still be worth chasing the threads after just to be sure. Worst case I'm sure you could cut that off and get Micky to weld a new boss on there for another O2 sensor??

my centry will weld up to 3/8

heres me in COBCOB's shop :mad::Flame:

heres cobcob:popcorn: . or is it the otherway around??????????

Looks about right to me!! Although I'll most likely be :mad: :mad: and under the Red Dragon trying to bleed the darn brakes while you're happy as larry burning Roxy down with a misguided propane torch! :grin:

Looks about right to me!! Although I'll most likely be :mad: :mad: and under the Red Dragon trying to bleed the darn brakes while you're happy as larry burning Roxy down with a misguided propane torch! :grin:

Thats funny.

On a more serious note, im digging what you,and GD said about temp.he is right (in my scrambled translation)about it defeating the purpose as the entire area heats up. we need to keep the sensor cooler, and the boss hotter. we will get that bugger out.

I do have a micro burnzomatic butane/o2 torch some were by the big door inside of my 2 car flight 800 debris field. (spring cleaning/garage sale needed) .

^^reminds me of the ol' "red and green" show on CBC :lol: :lol: :lol: