Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What exactly is a brake "backing plate" ?

it's a rusted up piece of metal that can't be removed.....oh wait you're over there, you should be able to get it off. it's the big cover/plate on the back side of the hub.

hmmm...i just checked my FSM and you're right it doesn't have it on the exploded view of the brake calipers. not sure why that wouldn't be listed under the brake parts??

Pretty much what it sounds like.

A thin stamped sheet metal plate thats installed before the brake rotor is that basically helps protect the back from water dirt, rocks, grease and stuff. Yes they can trap rocks, but I think I only caught one once in over 100K and I drove on alot of gravel roads.

PB blaster and a good breaker bar are your friend in getting these off as they may have never been removed in the life of the car.

Untitled_22.jpg

You can kinda see it in this picture. Its that thin metal plate directly behind the rotor. You will need to remove the caliper and rotor in order to get it off. Its held on by two 12mm bolts.

They are not interchangeable. If you need the drivers side, get the drivers side.

They are also not terribly important. And are pretty flexable. If you are having trouble with it scrapping the rotor, you can bend it out of the way. I also know of a few people who chose not to use them alltogether. expecially on wheelin rigs as rocks and mud tend to get packed in there pretty easily.

-Brian

Brings to mind, why do you need a backing plate? What catastrophic damage has been done do it? As mentioned, most of them have not ever been off the vehicle, for the simple reason that unless your wheel falls off and you grind it to smithereens, they are just a static part... they dont fail, wear out, etc.

As stated, if it's rubbing on the rotor, you should be able to just kind of bend it out so it isnt hitting the rotor.. I have only seen one in my life damaged beyond repair, and yes, his wheel fell off and he ground it to smithereens...

The rear backing plates are different, they are what holds the brake shoes(drum brakes only) in place.. rear Disc brakes also use a similar setup, but the plate holds/ is the caliper mount on some models.. And yes, Right and left are different, front and rear are different..

Thanks for all the help, especially the picture TSJ.

There is a ratcheting noise coming from the drivers side front wheel area, and i was under the impression that the backing plate had been left off. Sometimes the sound is hardly even there, but after wheeling, it's really loud and obnoxious.