Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horsepower from the front of the engine

Howdy to all,

I am a little worried about a part of my 'grand plan'.

Advice needed.

I need to draw two lots of 5.5 horsepower (11 max total) from the FRONT of an EJ22.

I want to run an Ingersol Rand hookah diving compressor and a high pressure water pump.

Could I run these with electo clutches (ala A/C compressor style) and off the serpentine belt system?

How much can the bearings handle I wonder?

Pipe up if you have something to say...

[...]Weber and distributor too, so no error code I can assure you.

A "slightly" modified EJ22? :)

Obviously, the more power you require, the tighter the drive belt will have to be to prevent slippage, all other things being equal. Is that why the concern over bearings?

Getting a fairly large degree of wrap will usually minimize slippage without the need for excessive tension. Around 120-150 degrees would likely be a good compromise -- 90 deg is often too little, and much over 150 deg can be hard to attain (and if the radius is small could unacceptably accelerate belt wear). Depending on the layout it might require idlers to accomplish the desired wrap.

A "slightly" modified EJ22? :)

Obviously, the more power you require, the tighter the drive belt will have to be to prevent slippage, all other things being equal. Is that why the concern over bearings?

Yep that was one concern, I will be breathing that air so a failure would be catastrophic.

(Emergency air then accent from depth)

Ssssshhh the tax department can hear us!

I have not dived commercially for a decade but have been lured back to this as a long term 'dream' by the gold price index.

I have a couple of equally idiotic mates to help, some prime areas to explore and financial hunger aplenty!

Going for the big nuggets ...flakes will work too but I really want some colour.

I will be pleased to update you, without any location details of course!

Are you still using the AC and PS pump?

Everything can handle it, but you may need some way to kick up the idle speed. The worst thing that will happen at idle (which is where you will be testing it to start) is some way to kick up the idle speed. The ECU may pick it up on its own, I dont know.

YOu will need to get as much contact as possible on the drive pulley and the slave pully as possible.

Will you be running these at the same time?

nipper

Are you still using the AC and PS pump?

Everything can handle it, but you may need some way to kick up the idle speed. The worst thing that will happen at idle (which is where you will be testing it to start) is some way to kick up the idle speed. The ECU may pick it up on its own, I dont know.

YOu will need to get as much contact as possible on the drive pulley and the slave pully as possible.

Will you be running these at the same time?

nipper

No for the existing pumps...it is in the Jet boat this will be mounted.

Both will be running together @ about 3600 rpm.

No for the existing pumps...it is in the Jet boat this will be mounted.

Both will be running together @ about 3600 rpm.

This will make things easier. Another possability is running the larger of the two direclty off the front of the main pully. Are you cooling this engine directly off the surrounding water, or through an heat exchanger (i dont know alot about boats).

nipper