Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First, I must say I like the Sedan overall, despite the Chrysler front end.

I'm far less fond of the five-door (whatever they call it) Mazda clone.

But yesterday I saw an Impreza 'Outback Sport', overwrought painted on two-tone that has nothing to do with the lines of the car ... bleccccch; only one word can adequately describe the car 'horrid'!

I went to an auto show a few weeks ago. Now, I'd seen the Imprezas long before that, but I had the opportunity to sit down in a lot of Honda and Toyota and Chrysler and Scion and Mazda...you get the point. Anyway, I sat in a lot of "economy" and "economy utility" cars out of curosity. Some cars--like that Scion cracker box on wheels (I forget what it's called...B something..)--I sat in and thought it was actually not a bad little vehicle. Then I'd look at the price tag and think "Geez, what's the deal. For that sticker price I could get a nice-equipped AWD Sube."

The Impreza sticker starts at $17g. Even if it isn't the most handsome or sexy of styling, compared to other base cars at that price, it totally kicks rump roast. Anyone who has driven a Subaru before would be crazy to spend $18,000+ on a FWD compact. Well, unless all you were after is better MPG.

With all that considered, the Impreza is a pretty cool car. Yes, I think the sedan is pretty bland. I don't understand why, but car companies think economy cars need to "blend" so that's the way they usually pop out. Personally, I like the 5 doors and would buy one if I were wanting to go into debt for a brand new car.

As far as the Outback Sport comments regarding paint scheme--I have to agree with that opinion. Pretty cheesy looking, compared to what they could have done. It looks like Bubba's Repair Shop decided to add a two-tone touch to someone's car. Maybe this look is something that is cool in Europe or Japan, but it doesn't work here, and it certainly doesn't add a "rugged" touch for a car that's for that niche. Needs some fat fog lamps up front too. An Outback w/o factory roof rack? I hope they rethink the Outback for 09--could be a cool car if so...

You know...the new design has been out for almost a year now..so when are y'all gonna get over it!!!!! Move on..its getting old now.

overwrought painted on two-tone that has nothing to do with the lines of the car

Buckey he's talking about the paint job not the impreza

Buckey he's talking about the paint job not the impreza

THIS is what he's criticizing...with good reason. No offense to anyone if this is a pic of your car. From an aesthetic standpoint, the paint scheme makes no sense at all. Like I said--I think whoever designed the two-tone thought it looked cool for a foreign market, but it doesn't fly too well here.

905013571_daf6a40ad2_b.jpg

I bet for 09 you see the same car w/ a totally different pant scheme. I also bet some dealers will have trouble getting some of these 08s off the lot...

Also, I understand that the hood scoops should be for turbo cars, but they should have put a couple of the little hood vents/louvers on this. This Outback Sport looks much more urban than outback...

THIS is what he's criticizing...with good reason. No offense to anyone if this is a pic of your car. From an aesthetic standpoint, the paint scheme makes no sense at all. Like I said--I think whoever designed the two-tone thought it looked cool for a foreign market, but it doesn't fly too well here.

905013571_daf6a40ad2_b.jpg

I for one have to agree that paint is ugly. And no matter how hard I try I still prefer the sedan over the 5 door.

Bucky:

Don't feel bad. Subaru owners for ages tolerated the quirky exteriors of their cars for the terrific engineering inside (Subaru's have a great personality...). My homely 02WRX has been called a Dodge Neon clone, and worse, but I love it nonetheless. All this name calling just builds character. We Subie aficionados are a tough bunch.

JT95:

I think I see an Aztek resemblance in that "Outback Sport" thing. You can put lipstick on a pig but clown paint? :dead:

Bucky:

You can put lipstick on a pig but clown paint? :dead:

Well said--I've never heard that before.

All I want to know is: how much do these designers get paid to come up with these looks...and where can I apply? Subaru isn't the only company that drops the ball on things like this new Outback Sport. I think one problem with a lot of car companies is that they have people who aren't really "car people" or "geareads" to do these art school graduate sketches/designs.

I want an Outback Sport that looks outdoorsy and sporty...not like I'm hopping over to the city park to play disc golf. And that roof rack? It looks like an aftermarket afterthought. Sad to say, but the Pontaic Vibe looks more outdoorsy-sporty than this thing.

That being said--I'd like to buy one that's suffered some damage and paint it up my own way. Put some gnarly fog lamps in the bumper. Hood louvers. As raw material, I think the 5 door Imprezas are really something...

My whole point is..at least once a day there is another mention of how ugly they are,,woohoo..its ugly..so is the 2007,so is the Tribeca..basically..so is about everything Subaru ever made..But after almost a year its just old.

I am working on doing an off-road look mod to mine once I find someone who is either close enough to use mine for a model for fittings..or something. I went with the roof rack cause it makes the car appear to be more of a wagon then a hatch.. The design is so it can be removed in under 2 minutes ( used the Tribeca idea) I want to get the cargo basket and mount some lights ..along with a small bull bar also with lights.

Now I agree that the Topaz Gold ...is not the most appealing color..but the OBS in Spark Silver is actually really nice..and the black doesnt look bad either. My neighbor 2 weeks after I bought mine ..got a OBS in Newport Blue and also..isnt too bad.

Anyway...here ya go..flame away:popcorn:

HollisterSpring001.jpg

JT95:

I think the Subaru design office is in Southern California. I just don't think Subaru drug tests their employees down there. I'm afraid they may have hired the clowns that were fired from the Pontiac Aztek team:rolleyes:

Bucky:

Nice bumblebee XT:lol: Steeler fan? Since you're in Connecticut, when are you going to do the blue & white UConn thing on your Impreza? :grin:

All joking aside, I thought the XT was a really cool car. Subaru had a talent of making really unique cars back then (Justy, XT, SVX).

As for the add-ons, I think all Subaru's should come standard with a Yakima/Thule/etc. rack setup. It just isn't a Subaru without gear in the back, stuff on the roof, and mud/sand/snow all over the car.

Bucky:

Nice bumblebee XT:lol: Steeler fan? Since you're in Connecticut, when are you going to do the blue & white UConn thing on your Impreza? :grin:

Since I am not familiar with you a whole lot and since you know nothing about the adventures of the XT6 I am letting that slide...But I despise football so there is no way..But I am a PA native and have always been anti-steelers. And its a pissed off hornet..not a fluffy bumblebee;):grin:

The roof rack set up is made to accept a few different add ons..bike carrier,snowboard, kayake ..The basket ( which I so want ) is just cool. I have plans to make mine more of a utilitarian vehicle..over a grocery go getter...but most of it may have to wait till its paid for.

Subaru had a talent of making really unique cars back then (Justy, XT, SVX).

So you think the justy is a unique car. The only think that sets them apart from a Geo Metro is the option for 4wd. They are still sardine cans made for no purpose other than fuel mileage.

And the XT, hell thats just a copy of a Pontiac Fiero. I mean look at then, they are both wedges. And both slow and quirky.

The Brat, rip off of an El Camino.

SVX, hell its got deLorean windows for goodness sake.

My point is, if you really want to nit pick, subaru has never made a car that couldn't be compared to another car being made in the same or similar era. If you don't like the car, don't buy one. Some people love them (me included now that they've grown on me) some people don't.

Wouldn't you get annoyed just a little bit if somebody popped up every day or so with a thread talking about how much they love a car for such and such reasons. The same goes with the threads of how some people hate a car. All the reviews were posted almost a year ago when these cars came out. If you had negative stuff to say about the body design it should have been addressed then.

Now stuff like paint schemes and that stuff, yeah, we can fuss about that all day long. But, in the end, its a quirky scheme. And its what makes Subaru, a Subaru.

Bratman:

Wow. I don’t really know where to start. However, this is more fun than cleaning the house and doing my taxes so here goes…

I disgree with most of your points and would like to foster the open and good-natured tongue-in-cheek discussion that makes the USMB so fun:

“So you think the justy is a unique car. The only think that sets them apart from a Geo Metro is the option for 4wd. They are still sardine cans made for no purpose other than fuel mileage.”

The CVT transmission was a radical concept at that time, and I think, a first in the U.S. That, with the 4WD was a gutsy move by such a small automaker. The 4WD CVT Justy was a one of a kind machine that added to the “out there” image of Subaru. Unfortunately, it was an underfunded effort and it came with a few “bugs.”

“And the XT, hell thats just a copy of a Pontiac Fiero. I mean look at then, they are both wedges. And both slow and quirky.”

I don’t remember any XT4’s going up in flames so they didn’t “copy” the Fiero. I also don’t remember any 4WD Fieros. I do remember POS Fieros. The only non POS Fiero was the final year V6 they made. The XT6 was pretty peppy for the time. It was also just plain weird (L-steering wheel). Again, Subaru cementing that “left field” image.

“The Brat, rip off of an El Camino.”

I think the BRAT was a wee bit smaller than the El Camino. And again, I don’t think there was a stock 4WD El Camino? I don’t think too many people confused the brat with an El Camino/Mailibu/Chevelle.

SVX, hell its got deLorean windows for goodness sake.”

It was a unique and cool design that helped it stand out among the hordes of boxer Flat 6 sport couples out there at the time:lol: . Unfortunately, it didn’t have manual transmission. Doh!

My point is, if you really want to nit pick, subaru has never made a car that couldn't be compared to another car being made in the same or similar era. If you don't like the car, don't buy one. Some people love them (me included now that they've grown on me) some people don't.

??? :eek: See above ??? Forgive me if I disagree with you on Subaru being a mainstream auto company. Besides the obvious (Folks, feel free to pile on), the affordable AWD/4WD options were seriously limited back in the 80’s and Early 90’s when the Justy, XT4/6, and SVX’s were around. American Motors (ugh) and Audi ($$$). Mazda’s 323GTX and Mitsubishi’s little AWD turbo beasties (Galant VR-4, Eclipse GSX), and Toyota’s All-trac Celica were rare affordable(?) exceptions.

”Wouldn't you get annoyed just a little bit if somebody popped up every day or so with a thread talking about how much they love a car for such and such reasons. The same goes with the threads of how some people hate a car. All the reviews were posted almost a year ago when these cars came out. If you had negative stuff to say about the body design it should have been addressed then”

Ach du liber, here on the USMB board, we like to talk about Subies and their quirks. You’d lose a lot of threads...289_emoticon.gif

”Now stuff like paint schemes and that stuff, yeah, we can fuss about that all day long. But, in the end, its a quirky scheme. And its what makes Subaru, a Subaru.”

It’s the ENGINEERING and DESIGN that makes a Subaru a Subaru. Not the freakin paint job!!!:banghead:

I see you've missed my point altogether. My comparisions were solely based on looks, such as are the comments at the 08+ Impreza. I would never confuse an svx for a delorean , an xt for a fiero, a justy for a metro, or god forbid a brat for an el camino.

People go around comparing the 08+ Impreza to a mazda 3, and everybody downs Subaru for it. They don't say hey its got awd, or any of the other stuff that could be argee about it. They simply down it and go on about it. People yelled and screamed that the 02/03 Impreza was a rip off of a neon. And now most of those neighsayers either own one or would like one.

It comes down to one simple, logical point. If you like it fine, if you don't fine. But there comes a time when continued fussing about the same old subject grows ridiculously cumbersome. We all know the arguements against the car, they've been well stated on countless forums since the final production design was released.

Just take a set back, absorb a little logic, and see if what I'm saying doesn't make a little sence to you.

When I first saw the new Imprezza, I didn't like it. I had an image in my mind of what I wanted the new car to be and that wasn't it.

However, a year later and now I like it more then the old one. Judging by how many of the new style I see on the road, so do a lot of other people (at least with the 5 door version).

I was looking at one parked next to a Mazda3 the other day and the Subaru looks much more expensive. Hard to say why, just made me think of a premium small car as opposed to an economy car.

All the reviews were posted almost a year ago when these cars came out. If you had negative stuff to say about the body design it should have been addressed then.

That's true. However, some of us don't live in areas where you see these in person very much. I run across Legacy wagons and Foresters all the time, but I honestly have yet to meet a single 08 Impreza on the road yet. Some of us are just slow at getting into the debate I guess. :-\

That's true. However, some of us don't live in areas where you see these in person very much. I run across Legacy wagons and Foresters all the time, but I honestly have yet to meet a single 09 Impreza on the road yet. Some of us are just slow at getting into the debate I guess. :-\

We all have yet to see an 09 Impreza cause they havent been released yet..still working on the 08s;)

We all have yet to see an 09 Impreza cause they havent been released yet..still working on the 08s;)

Oops. Hehee. Yeah--I fixed the typo.

Hey--maybe there will be some revisions in 09. I think the 5 doors would really look more streamlined if the roof rack were more a part of the car, like they were on previous years.

Well, in 10 years I'll get to do one of these 08s my way. I usually buy a car after it's 8 or 10 yrs old, so I figure I'll be getting one of these Impreza 5 doors by then. As I said before, I like them as raw material, I'd just do some of the cosmetic things differently. (The first thing I'd do is cut a hole in the hood and install a scoop off a late 90s Impreza RS or OBS.) :cool:

Bucky--your 5 door would look b1tchin w/ a hood scoop added, and with the rocker panels and mud flaps painted semi-gloss black...and a customed front bumper cover w/ a couple fat fog lights.

I'm glad somebody got my point and didn't get bent out of shape by it.

I didn't get to see one for a while after they were released, all I had to go on until then was just internet pictures. And they do not by any means do the cars justice.

And yes, I agree they do need some help in certain areas with the looks. I for one enjoy the clean roofline look without racks and such, but I'm not everybody. Thats why there are dealer and aftermarket products.