Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension for the Little Blue One

Since my reports from the driver of my coupe said he thought the suspension felt bad..like dangerously bad..I today ordered all new front and rears for the coupe. First time dealing with Rock Auto..and I must say..I think I got a pretty good deal...especially on the front struts. Got a pair of Gabriel Gas Struts for $37 each..they were on close out and the last 2 in stock. Then I also got a pair of KYB GR-2s for the rear $27 each...all in all seems cheap..I also like how they tell you they are shipping from differnt locations and as of right now.both fronts and one rear has been shipped. Can't wait to get out there and actually work on the car myself..I feel helpless on this end..I just order stuff and send it west:grin:

You may want to order some ball-joints as well. Every EA81 I've owned has had worn out ball joints - they usually clunk and knock going over bumps, and make the car steer with the loud pedal. Very sketchy.

I haven't found a lot of "bad" struts out west here - definitely good to replace them though.

GD

+1 for the ball joints.

Sometimes CV's can trick people into thinking they have suspension issues too, but just work on one thing at a time to save money I reckon.

Yup.

I have new ball joints. And good bushings in the front of my GL.

I still get a slight "clunk" here and there from the front right. And I know it's gotta be my right front CV and wheel bearings that are on thier last leg (left is all new, right's got the clickity clacks).

So all good things to check Bucky92.

Step by step you'll have it all sorted. :)

Since my coupe is basically going to be getting a full on restoration ( since its actually a perfect specimen for this..good to great shape..but still needing things) I can't go wrong with the new bits:) It just kinda sucks being out there right now cause I can't just "run out and take a look" at things. I am just wanting to have it so its can make a 600 mile round trip journey a couple weeks after it gets to this side of the country...somewhat comfortably ( for a 25 y/o car;)) I was thinking the same thing about the ball joints and tie rods..since..I am told there is some play in the steering. I am having the bushings looked at too.

I am just so happy that I am getting another of my favorite Subarus...Plus I might end up driving it more over the summer months this year with the gas prices the way they are..that little FWD EA81 has to do better then the new one...plus I have 10K miles on the new one already:eek:.

I was also told it has been fitted with a full sized spare with matching rim ( oh its the little things:grin:) the next 3 and a half weeks are going to drag....then the 2 weeks it is in the hands of DAS.

I have also been talking to my local all around car show people and they are actually going to welcome this car to thier shows ( they didnt want the XT6 there cause of certain reasons) So it looks like the little Blue one is going to have a following here.

EMPI makes a direct replacement for the rubber "donut" in the steering shaft where it connects between the column and the rack. It's for VW bugs, and it's Urethane! Best of all it's like $8. I've used them on all my EA81's and they are awesome!

It fits EXACTLY like stock, it's just Urethane instead of natural rubber. The original one's are usually perma-bent, soft, and cracked.

Easy to replace too. Couple wrenches, and 20 minutes.

Here's a link, but many places carry these:

http://www.jusbugs.com/catalog/steering-coupler-urethane-p-946.html?osCsid=ae4e8189af210a34478e146245d19a52

GD

Lil Blue ships on the 12th, so 2 weeks should make it between the 25th and 28th (weekend).

I'll have some time tomorrow to look him over again. You dont know how hard it is to open my front door every day and see him sitting there :-p

Especially when I need one for a project like Zaps ;)

Since my reports from the driver of my coupe said he thought the suspension felt bad..like dangerously bad..I today ordered all new front and rears for the coupe.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. It's the only car I've driven that scares me more than my '81. :-p

I was also told it has been fitted with a full sized spare with matching rim ( oh its the little things:grin:)

And now Rob can vouch for me being mental. :-\

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. It's the only car I've driven that scares me more than my '81. :-p

But you have to admit..you enjoyed driving it;) You will have to take him for a spin after the new parts are in..and see the difference.

I dont think any vouching is needed..I have known that about you for awhile:lol:..(example..Dance of the Sugarplum Subarus:rolleyes::-p) But thats why I luv ya so much Lil Bro.

You dont know how hard it is to open my front door every day and see him sitting there :-p

Especially when I need one for a project like Zaps ;)

But this one is only a poor little FWD that needed a loving caring home where it will be cherished, pampered, and loved.

You need a 4WD one that has some ruggedness to it. I can not wait to see the finished project..:slobber::slobber: gotta love the coupes!

Estimated date of arrival for the little blue one to CT...April 26th..will arrive in Hartford and have a 50 mile journey home to my garage. Then a trip down the road to my detail guys. I am glad I paid as far in advance as I did for the shipping the way the prices are rising on everything

But you have to admit..you enjoyed driving it;) You will have to take him for a spin after the new parts are in..and see the difference.

You mean I'll get to drive it around a corner and not fear for my life? lol

I dont think any vouching is needed..I have known that about you for awhile:lol:..(example..Dance of the Sugarplum Subarus:rolleyes::-p) But thats why I luv ya so much Lil Bro.

It gets worse. :rolleyes:

Being mental and being anal are 2 different things.

But in other cases/people.....not :rolleyes:

Dont forget, we are working on a soon to be show car.

It pays to be anal ;)

Being mental and being anal are 2 different things.

But in other cases/people.....not :rolleyes:

Dont forget, we are working on a soon to be show car.

It pays to be anal ;)

Yup and we all know I am about as anal as they get....Just you wait young-un:-p ( HAHAHA I just thought of something..you know how good I am at bringing out the worst in everyone ..Be prepared and be scared)

First of all Connie (Relaxxxx)

I know the agony of the anticipation of getting a new car. Especally something you cant really see and evaluate for yourslef. Everythings going to be fine. I know you said you were doing a restoration piece on this one but what about some 15 pugs. Make that baby a canyon carver. Would look nice tucked in those fenders. Just something for you to toss around while your replaceing your ageing suspension parts.

Ben

I would be probably freaking out about the car but I know its in good hands and those close to it talk to it ( or at least they tell me they do:lol: ). The time I am going to be the basket case is the 2 weeks it is on the truck..but DAS has real time tracking so you know what I will be watching.

If it was a 4WD one I would think about going pugs ..but since its FWD and ...like Steve mentioned..it already ha nice alloys that do look good on the car. I am going to keep him looking stock.

I am more excited about finally getting to see the west coast..since I have never been further west than Indianapolis. Getting to see Rob and the stuff I hear so much about...and meeting Briggs and others.

That reminds me..I have to call Rob and see if he looked at the steering and stuff so I can order parts

( been sick for 2 days and just remembered this morning I have a lap top now :rolleyes:)