Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unless you just want to own your own, I go to AutoZone and have them read it for free. I even buy parts there sometimes

Harbor Freight has some on sale sometimes for various prices according to what they are capable of doing. Last week's ad - (went off) reader 94168 $39, with can 94169 $59, with script 94217 $89. I have NO idea what the differences are, though.

Yeah, a neighbor went to an Autozone to get a code read and reset but they were busy with customers and he had a long wait. I'd rather have my own code reader handy....maybe a small one that I can keep in my Subie.

I just found what looks to be a nice little one...an Actron, on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Diagnostic-Post-1996/dp/B0007LEG2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1205681031&sr=1-3

Simple, but looks like it does the job.

The Actron units seem pretty good; customer reviews are mostly 4 and 5 stars.

I just want to keep it simple...don't need lots of features, just want to get a code if the check engine light comes on and reset it, that's all.

The Equus ones look good, too, but a bit more than I want to spend...plus they've got more features than I need.

Thanks, guys, for your replies....much obliged.:)