Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Axles Removal Tips?

I was pulling the rear end out of the brat tonight and I ran into a snag. I cannot get either of the rear axles off of the rear diff. I tried pulling the axles out of the hubs but the stubs are too long and I dont have enough room to play around with. I am very unfamilar with the older subarus. Perhaps there is something that I am over looking?

So does anyone have any secret methods to getting the axles off of the stubs on the diff? I already have the roll pins out. I would prefer to not use heat cause I dont want to fry the diff fluid. Also I have blasted it with penetrating oil to no avail.

two thing

first thing to make life ez drop the diff you cant pull them all the way off less you do at lease i cant

sec thing is if you cant move the shaft then go get a can of k&n air filter oil spray it on and let it sit for an hour and it should slide off if not tap the shaft with a dead blow hammer

hope it helped

dennis

The axles have rusted to the splines. Heat, penetrating spray and hammer is the method called for.

Heat the spline area, spray with the penetrant, repeat. That'll help draw the penetrant into the splines, but you may have to let them soak for a bit, like a day or two. Then you start beating the crap out of them.

Once you get them off, clean the splines real good and apply some Anti-Sieze to them.

I get to do this to all 3 of my BRATs here shortly....:-\

Silly question but... did you take the roll pins out?

I already have the roll pins out

;)

don't need to drop the diff to get them out. but you'll probably have to unbolt the shock, and pull the trailing arm down to give some slack to get them off the stub....

Got one of the axles off. So now the diff is on floor with the passenger axle still attached. I was BFH-ing the passenger axle and well I cracked teh DOJ cup and dislocated the joint. The thing wont budge at all! Tomorrow I am moving up to larger implements of destruction.

It sucks my camera is broken or else I would have a bunch of pics to post up.

Thx, sorry, I missed that...

it happens :)

I got your message....but I was at work. I can't believe you cracked the DOJ cup! that's crazy. I've beat on, and deformed them, even cut one off one of the spindles that was in the XT control arms I got.