Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone talk some sense into me

Two months ago I boutht an '05 Legacy GT. In about ten minutes I am supposed to go test drive an '07 STi. I don't need this car (or the payments) but I am absolutely drooling at the thought of parking it in my garage. I have about ten grand in equity in the '05 and I'm really not sure I could stand to be in more debt, but I can't stop smiling at the thought of the STi.

Dunno how young you are but the younger one is, the more financially irresponsible one tends to be. Going into debt just to get high (and that's just what this is) is, imho, the height of irresponsibility.

Do you tend to be an addictive type of person? You just bought a real sweet car but you're still not satisfied. Well, let me tell ya, you'll ALWAYS be Jonesin' for the next high, whatever it may be. How deep in debt are you willing to get, 'cause it's not gonna stop with a new '07 STi; there'll always be the next "absolute drool", the next "I just gotta have it".

But then, it's your decision......and your life.

What more do you want out of an STi that your LGT isn't doing for you? It would be a lot cheaper to do a few upgrades in the LGT if you want to look prettier, go faster, or handle better.

If you need a little inspiration, there was a link of a LGT on nasioc for sale I just had to bookmark:

LINK

Glad you passed on the STi. Being car poor is no fun. Thankfully, I've never been there, and I'm usually not tempted to go that route. However, I was recently tempted to consider buying a Baja and going into more debt that would be wise for me. I don't NEED a Baja. Beyond having safe, reliable transportation, if you have to balance and budget to get a car--you don't need it and can't truly afford it. One day I'll get a Baja. STi Subes are going to be on the market for a long time, so you can always get one in a year...or five...or seven.

It's pretty normal for guys to get that longing for a new car. However, it usually passes, and it can always be easily appeased with choosing to invest a little in the car you have. A few years ago I decided to get a "new" car by taking my all-white LSi wagon and painting the bumpers, rocker panels, and wheel lips black. If you are feeling really itchy for a different ride, put some new wheels on yours, do something trick with the paint, change out the gauge facing, or something that makes it feel new to you.

I love cars. Cars tend to age, however. Here is what I have always wanted to avoid: writing the same fat check for a four year old car that I was writing every month for a brand new car, paying $xxx.xx every month for a car with close to 100k, some wear in the interior, a few chips in the paint, and all the needed maintenance investment that is now becoming a requirement for it.

I'll bet your LGT is something other people would drool over the way you looked at that 07 STI...

I wouldn't have been poor buying it, actually a car payment is the last of my debt as I have just about paid off my student loans. Still, a paid off Legacy is every bit as nice, and I really like mine. The STi is the car I have always wanted, a close second is a 1992 Legacy wagon with the 2.2 and a 5 speed. I just saw a chance at a really nice one, and being the waffle that I am needed someone to talk me down.

Go get married if you aren't already and then go with both. The Legacy for the wife and the STI for you.

Hey--your insurance rates drop when you get married.

Course if you choose wrong you might be making more than a car payment for many years to come...:-\

Two months ago I boutht an '05 Legacy GT. In about ten minutes I am supposed to go test drive an '07 STi. I don't need this car (or the payments) but I am absolutely drooling at the thought of parking it in my garage. I have about ten grand in equity in the '05 and I'm really not sure I could stand to be in more debt, but I can't stop smiling at the thought of the STi.

Trade your legacy in for a Legacy spec B. Best of both worlds. :headbang:

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Legacy GT and a Legacy SpecB? I tried to find the differences online but didnt get anywhere. From what i can tell, the SpecB is more WRXy in the interior but no real power or handling differences from the Legacy GT. Is that right or did i miss something.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Legacy GT and a Legacy SpecB? I tried to find the differences online but didnt get anywhere. From what i can tell, the SpecB is more WRXy in the interior but no real power or handling differences from the Legacy GT. Is that right or did i miss something.

Like I said, as far as performance upgrades, it got the 6 speed transmisison used in the STi's, which is regarded as next to indestructible when compared to the 5 speeds. The biggest selling point of the spec B is probably the Bilstein suspension on it. From what I have heard, the Bilstein suspension is in a class of its own, a little bit stiffer than the KYB GR2s most people recommend, and last next to forever.