Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replaced stereo now no dash lights??????

I bought a cheap cd player for my 90 subaru loyale no turbo and put it in a while ago. I bought the wiring harness for the car to simplify things, but of course it didn't fit:mad: . I ended up just cutting the wires and connecting them myself. I didn't cut anything not going directly to the radio. after that I have no dash lights and it seems the radio power is routed through headlights (when headlights turn off radio has no power):confused: . another weird thing is the headlights turn off when the car turns off. I don't know if that is normal for this car, but isn't the case with other older cars I have owned. some previous owner installed a remote start and did a real chop job (random wires everywhere). I have installed plenty of radios before and have never scene this before. any help would be greatly appreciated.:burnout:

the headlights do turn off withthe car

the single green wire is hot all the time, connect to that for your memory.

the speakers are common ground, so if you have weird fade balance issues, use one negative wire on the front channel and one for the rear, leave the remaining negative wires unconnected.

the ground for the radio could be hooked up to the factory dimmer/illumination wire?

this wire will read ground when the lights are off but reads voltage when the lights are on...

check to see if you've burned out the dimmer.

Tapping for power is ok. The Factory ground I do not trust with newer more powerful radios. I grounded mine to the metal bracket that the lower dash console is secured to.. I also ran a fused 14 AWG primary wire from the battery to make sure I wasn't going to cook anything.. That is the wire that powers your deck, the accessory wire is just a signal that tells the radio to turn on and doesn't draw much power.

Mike