Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I Think I Need A Water Pump-Fixed

I did some research on here and found that if a water pump shaft is loose, then it is usually a sign that it is going bad. I flushed the crap out of cooling two weeks ago and things have been fine. Driving around town yesterday I noticed that my temp gauge was just a tad high and my heat temperature was feeling low coming out of the vents. Today, I took it up the road today and got things up to operating temperatures and came back home. Popped the hood and felt the front of the rounded part of the water pump and I could feel play in it, not much, but could tell. Is it time to replace?

Any play is bad. For the cost of an EA81 pump, and considering your recent cooling system problems, I would replace it.

Be VERY careful if you haven't ever had the pump off. The bolts are small, and easily broken off. Work them back and forth till they come out. Chase the threads in the block and run each bolt through a die.

If you buy any pump besides the OEM, toss the cardboard gasket and use RTV (1/16" bead, and let it setup for 1 hour before starting the engine). If you buy the OEM pump it comes with a Three-Bond coated cardboard gasket that works very well dry.

Replace the heater core bypass hose, and if it's looking sad, the bypass pipe as well as the smaller coolant hoses that run to the carb base. This is a good time to block those if you don't want it. Use new hose clamps all around, and get the German "embossed" clamps with the rolled edges.

GD

the turbine on the inside of the water pump has probably gound off to a nub and therefore is not circulating.

i have had water pump pulleys fall out(major leakage) or snap clean off. replace it now.

if you dont take care of it now the belts will start squalling and you will either overheat due to bad curculation, lose a belt or the pulley, ir the shaft just falls out and there goes all your coolant, plus above problems.

I am going to call the dealer early Monday morning and hope they have a gasket in stock. The pump on this thing has been replaced before, I can see all the extra sealant material around the edges, I look forward to getting all the stuff off. I will probably snag the water pump off my hatchback and use it, I had no issues from it. I have been looking at the FSM and it looks to be 5 bolts, looks to be 12mm. The hoses are fine and look to have been replaced before.

I use this picture a lot and it shows where the threads look to be coated in this blue junk.

101_0002.jpg

when they have play in them, the wobble, the bearings and seals are gonna get trashed because of the play. this will cause the seals to leak. Is yours leaking yet? if it is, you will probable not see drips near the pump, but rather back under the valve cover, engine mount area, based on what mine did when i bought it.

I am not having any leaking yet. But the motor is getting hot, I am having just a tad less heat. I found a water pump on 1stSubaru parts for $53.24, if Subaru doesn't have a gasket tomorrow, I will be ordering it.

This was me going about 45-50 MPH:

0406081735.jpg

I am not having any leaking yet. But the motor is getting hot, I am having just a tad less heat. I found a water pump on 1stSubaru parts for $53.24, if Subaru doesn't have a gasket tomorrow, I will be ordering it.

This was me going about 45-50 MPH:

0406081735.jpg

That looks about normal to me give or take a bit. Not sure whats out of the ordinary. Both of my EA81s have run at the halfway mark or a bit below. Not saying you dont need a new pump because if there is any play then its time. Im just saying your temperature isnt that far off from what it should be.

The one I pulled off is an exact match for the one I put on. GMB made in Japan. I pulled alternator to give myself some room. Subaru could have picked better bolts than those to hold the water pump on. Looked like they would do a better job at holding a table together but, if it works. Used black RTV and waited an hour. Took it to town with highway and city driving, it didn't get above the notch and had great heat, even though it was 66 degrees. Thanks for the helps guys. Next week something else will break.

Be cautious with those GMB Pumps they have sheet metal impelers and I've seen one completely disintegrate. I dunno about ea81 pumps but the ea82 pumps have a caste impeler, they are also far more efficient.

On a buds ea82 sedan we put on an genuine Subaru pump and with the engine idling you could see the swirl of the vortex the pump was creating through the radiator cap, my car which has a GMB pump (place holder engine ;) ) no such thing. Just my unscientific observations..

HTH,

Kaz

The GMB one was all that was in stock that day at autozone. I added it up and it was cheaper to fix Brat with that water pump than it would have been to fill the Legacy back up with gas. I have drove it about 50 miles since installed and it has yet to get above the notch on the heat hand.

If the GMB one had said "Made in Mexico" on it, and not Japan. Things might have been a little bit different about me getting that one from the autozone.