Ultimate Subaru Message Board

But, but, but ... what about the all AWD?

For accelleration, I would argue that AWD is advantageous even in dry weather over FWD... even a moderately powered FWD car will often have it's accelleration limited by wheel spin when trying to (for example) make a left from a dead stop at an intersection, where an AWD can simply gas-n-go.

Except of course, for the WRX. Apparently a number of new WRX drivers can resist "laying a patch". So, they rev the engine, drop the clutch and.........SNAP off a pinion gear in the manual transmission. It's over two grand to fix the tranny and it's NOT covered under warranty. In a 2WD car excessive power is "burned" off when the wheels on one axle spin. But with AWD all four wheels stick to the ground and the sudden application of force is concentrated in the manual transmission, which can't take it.

The pinion gear doesn't break, usually first or second gear does. My wrx can't even spin the tires on dry pavement if I want it too. I can leave at the track at 6,000 rpm slightly slipping the clutch and it just goes. But you're right if you dump the clutch stuff breaks. It doesn't work well anyway, if you dump the clutch it just bogs the engine.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well - about the mid engine thing - remember the Pontiac Fiero? it was a chevette engine in the middle of the car, 2 seats and a cobble of other misc parts off various small GM vehicles. SUB COULD do a mid engine version with RWD using essentially the same idea - boxer engine, same trans as now, open front suspension (essentially the same as "now" but without the motor). McLaren did about the same thing BTW

What I'd like to see is a version of the Corvair van with the engine in the back and a ramp side, maybe cab forward (would have "issues" with the front end collision test, though)

Of course, not "sporty" enough...

Just caught this thread. The 1985-1987 Toyota MR2 (AW11-AW16) used a Corolla AE94? FWD drivetrain mounted mid-ships IIRC (including some vestigal parts of the steering system). This was the same famous 4AGE DOHC 16 Valve engine that powered the AE86 Corolla of drifting fame.

The Fiero was a mish-mash of bad GM parts alright. The front suspension was lifted verbatim from the Chevette. The back section was lifted from the front of a Citation. Typical GM, they spent $1billion to get it right in '88, then killed it the same year.

In all fairness to GM, the accountants killed that car. As it was designed, it was a great, then the bean counters.....

nipper

In all fairness to GM, the accountants killed that car. As it was designed, it was a great, then the bean counters.....

nipper

It was overwhelmingly a "girl" car. I also remember it was a really tight fit to make it a mid-engine car. So, GM reduced the size of the oil pan thus reducing the amount of engine oil by a quart or so. Soon Fiero drivers where running their engines out of oil, and I think a number may have caught on fire. GM's answer was to amend the operator's manual so that the oil level had to be checked everytime the car was fueled.

In any event, the Fiero was much more "show than "go".

It was overwhelmingly a "girl" car. I also remember it was a really tight fit to make it a mid-engine car. So, GM reduced the size of the oil pan thus reducing the amount of engine oil by a quart or so. Soon Fiero drivers where running their engines out of oil, and I think a number may have caught on fire. GM's answer was to amend the operator's manual so that the oil level had to be checked everytime the car was fueled.

In any event, the Fiero was much more "show than "go".

hehe one of the few cars where the flames on the side were real flames :)

http://listing-index.ebay.com/cars/Pontiac_Fiero.html