Ultimate Subaru Message Board

But, but, but ... what about the all AWD?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feeling is that you are going to see a rapid re-introduction of 2WD cars by Subaru. AWD saps gas mileage, performance, is mechanically complex/costly to develop and more expensive to buy. Most of America does not need this. Yes, DOES not need this. The few places that do, only need it occasionally in the winter. With gas on the march to $4 a gallon, Subaru has to begin to rethink it's products, or risk losing huge pieces of the market. I have talked to a few recently that are eliminating Subaru, BECAUSE they don't want AWD and the associated gas mileage costs. That's a 3 car loss of sales, just with people I know!!

Sure AWD is nice to have and fun to play with off road, but that buyer will still be able to get it as an option I'm sure.

Time will tell how the "Toyota" influence effects Subaru, but I predict some major change between that and the rise in fuel prices.

todd

If they aren't going to do AWD; At least it's right wheel drive.

That's about all it's got going for it.

:eek: I guess Subaru will have to drop the "AWD is ALL we DO" statement out of their advertisements.:eek:

Also,

That thing has a LONNNNNG way to go before it makes it to production. I really hope some of the ugly gets knocked off of it before then. It kinda looks like something designed by............ Toyota.

Oh yeah, and a streamlined pile of bum puke.

But mostly a Toyota.

They will prbbly go back to having 2wd and AWD, and maybe 4wd options in the product line.

nipper

If they went back to in/out 4wd, it would be one of the best idea they've had in years. Hi/Lo would be even better, with a similar style to the old miter box T-cases. It would be a great idea.

I just REALLY hope that 17%, or whatever the magic number is, doesn't bring the good percentage down by trying to ride coat tails, and take the "good stuff".

My feeling is that you are going to see a rapid re-introduction of 2WD cars by Subaru. AWD saps gas mileage, performance, is mechanically complex/costly to develop and more expensive to buy. Most of America does not need this. Yes, DOES not need this. The few places that do, only need it occasionally in the winter. With gas on the march to $4 a gallon, Subaru has to begin to rethink it's products, or risk losing huge pieces of the market. I have talked to a few recently that are eliminating Subaru, BECAUSE they don't want AWD and the associated gas mileage costs. That's a 3 car loss of sales, just with people I know!!

Sure AWD is nice to have and fun to play with off road, but that buyer will still be able to get it as an option I'm sure.

Time will tell how the "Toyota" influence effects Subaru, but I predict some major change between that and the rise in fuel prices.

todd

Before I had AWD on the crappy roads around here (always some loose crap on top), I didn't know how much AWD could help.

Lotsa dirt roads, too (heh).

But yeah, most areas in the US it goes totally 'unused'.

Dave

Before I had AWD on the crappy roads around here (always some loose crap on top), I didn't know how much AWD could help.

Lotsa dirt roads, too (heh).

But yeah, most areas in the US it goes totally 'unused'.

Dave

Also for most people, traction control and anti skid controls are more then enough for poor traction conditions. The fact that it is rear wheel drive means that they are still planning on bumping up the HP.

nipper

The following is pure blue sky theory:

Maybe, just maybe, they intend on making the Coupe the new STI? Think about it, 305hp RWD 2+2. Sounds like a TON of fun to me. If they can keep it under 2 tons that is:lol:

Of course with the standard 170hp, it will still be a kick in the pants, just need to keep it LIGHT!!!!

Then there's the Hybrid possibilities....150hp 2.0l with a 60hp electric assist...total underfoot...210hp! Not a lightweight setup, but Tres-Chic.

This could be a good thing, as long as Toyota stays out of the design, and handling development.

A RWD coupe means going up-market in price. I prefer RWD to FWD, but it's far less efficient for packaging, meaning the interior is less spacious, the car is a little heavier, etc. So, you have to make it a luxury or 'premium' vehicle. That's pronounced: Higher price for largely the same content but slicker brochures, advertizing, warranty and maybe or maybe not slightly better fit/finish. That I'm not interested in.

I would be interested in a RWD Subie just because they could then move the engine rearward and front wheels forward in the chassis, making it much better balanced. Plus, it could get better mpg. However, that would most likely mean no AWD/4WD option unless they went to a front-mid-engine design, which I think is completely unlikely. Too bad...

A RWD coupe means going up-market in price. I prefer RWD to FWD, but it's far less efficient for packaging, meaning the interior is less spacious, the car is a little heavier, etc. So, you have to make it a luxury or 'premium' vehicle. That's pronounced: Higher price for largely the same content but slicker brochures, advertizing, warranty and maybe or maybe not slightly better fit/finish. That I'm not interested in.

I would be interested in a RWD Subie just because they could then move the engine rearward and front wheels forward in the chassis, making it much better balanced. Plus, it could get better mpg. However, that would most likely mean no AWD/4WD option unless they went to a front-mid-engine design, which I think is completely unlikely. Too bad...

The layout of a subaru engein and front axles really makes mid engine impossible.

My guess is that they will have rear drive and AWD available. I dont believe it will be an upmarket in price, especially since they have all the parts there already. This really is a smart move on thier part.

nipper

I agree with you on the layout, Nipper. That's why I don't think they'll do it: they'd have to redesign the powertrain.

I'm very, very skeptical that they'd make an RWD/AWD vehicle rather than a FWD/AWD vehicle without an attempt to move upmarket. Not necessarily BMW 6 series, but up from Subaru's norm. I might be interested if they didn't try to price up, though.

well - about the mid engine thing - remember the Pontiac Fiero? it was a chevette engine in the middle of the car, 2 seats and a cobble of other misc parts off various small GM vehicles. SUB COULD do a mid engine version with RWD using essentially the same idea - boxer engine, same trans as now, open front suspension (essentially the same as "now" but without the motor). McLaren did about the same thing BTW

What I'd like to see is a version of the Corvair van with the engine in the back and a ramp side, maybe cab forward (would have "issues" with the front end collision test, though)

Of course, not "sporty" enough...

well - about the mid engine thing - remember the Pontiac Fiero? it was a chevette engine in the middle of the car, 2 seats and a cobble of other misc parts off various small GM vehicles. SUB COULD do a mid engine version with RWD using essentially the same idea - boxer engine, same trans as now, open front suspension (essentially the same as "now" but without the motor). McLaren did about the same thing BTW

What I'd like to see is a version of the Corvair van with the engine in the back and a ramp side, maybe cab forward (would have "issues" with the front end collision test, though)

Of course, not "sporty" enough...

OMG I THINK I LOVE YOU

:banana:

hehehehe

i love corvairs, I'ce owned them. I have been fiddling on paper putting a sooby 4 cylinder into a corvair. I just dont want to fuin the lines of the car with a radiator.

I really miss my vair (1967)

nipper

OMG I THINK I LOVE YOU

:banana:

hehehehe

i love corvairs, I'ce owned them. I have been fiddling on paper putting a sooby 4 cylinder into a corvair. I just dont want to fuin the lines of the car with a radiator.

I really miss my vair (1967)

nipper

Oh, no. First it was Ramblers, now Corvairs? Maybe we should ask Mom if Dad had a 'little secret' he forgot to share with the two of us kids. What might he have done on a TDY??? Nipper, you're sounding like a sibling here:eek: ... too weird!!

Well, I like the idea, if just for the interesting factor of it. I could see myself really enjoying a RWD Subaru. Especially if it were MR, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that. Going from Subaru AWD to MR would be a step in the wrong direction for the rally world. The AWD Impreza would basically have to be a whole new car.

The two things that are a bit uneasy with me are:

When I clicked the second link (nipper posted) and saw the picture, I saw a bit of the latest Celica. Not keen on that. I want a whole new car.

Toyota with the Subaru boxer? First Saab and now Toyota owners get the engine without the badge. :-p

Anyway, I'm glad to see this done with Toyota. They are two great companies with plenty of successful experience.

I live in South Carolina, so I did not buy my Forester to go in the snow.

Subarus have awesome towing capabilities, higher than the other "mini-SUVS". My main reason for buying a Forester is that I wanted a small, yet powerfull car to tow my sailboat. Subaru's reliability rates very highly with me. The excellent handling and the ease of D.I.Y. repairs are real pluses. But I would buy a cheaper, higher mpg 2WD Forester in a heart beat. In fact, put me down for one.

personally i think the AWD setup is more used then said. when ever it rains around here which can be often even if not bad, its safer. i can drive like its dry out, snow its there, and i'm sorry but traction control and all that junk doesn't work good enough, its not there when it starts like the 4wd grip. sometimes it makes it worse. it would have to read every 1/1000sec or better in order to acheive what is needed to be done. it doesn't take even a blink of an eye to lose control.

I don't see it happening. They have spent almost the entire life of the corporation promoting the 4WD which later turned to AWD. I think by them doing that is pissing it all away.

Well with gas mileage becoming peoples top concern, its not pissing it away. Remeber they are a small company, and can not afford not too have a small car thats effecient on fuel. Also they started out as 2wd, so they arent pissing it all away.

Now if they got rid of thier engine, then yes.

nipper