Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seafoam's dark side?

I got caught up in the enthusiasm of Seafoam. Never tried it before. Today, my room mate and I drove to a dirt trail (To spare my neighbors the trouble) Did as I've heard before. Added 1/3 to the gas, 1/3 to the oil and 1/3 down the carb. (This is an 83 GL wagon) I added it slowly through the carb so it wouldn't stall until there was only a little left, then poured enough in to stall the engine. I waited ten minutes and got ready for a smoke cloud. But it never started. It cranks over just fine. I drained the battery, walked home and got my toyota. Used the jumper cables and tried cranking again. A few times it feels like it wants to fire but doesn't quite start. Mostly it just cranks. Seems to be getting gas just fine. Even put a little down the carb just to be sure. Gave it an hour to just sit. Still wont fire. Towed it home with the toyota and it's safe in the backyard now. Any idea what gives? Anyone had any similar experience with seafoam?

I bet your plugs are shot, check them first

Shot or soaking wet. Take them out and burn the gas and carbon off with a propane torch. But don't hold it on the electrodes untill they turn red, that's too hot. Gap and put them back in. Try starting without touching the throttle first.

I've used seafoam many time, more than a third down the carb too. It always started, but always took a while. Remember, the engine burns fuel vapor, not liquid fuel.

What I always do when I use Seafoam in a carb'd vehicle (have used it in numerous cars from a '78 Brat to my old '78 Ford Bronco) is to pour it down the carb but don't kill it using the Seafoam. After you're done running the Seafoam through the carb, take a rag , rev the motor up, and stuff the rag into the top of the carb causing the engine to die from lack of oxygen. Then start it up;)

It prevents the Seafoam from sticking to the plugs causing them to foul up and not start like in your situation. It also helps suck anything out of the jets of the carb too.

..........take a rag , rev the motor up, and stuff the rag into the top of the carb causing the engine to die ......

an old Subaru Mech. told me that is called a "Jap Slap!" and yea... he recommended to me giving my old EA-81 a proper slap once in awhile.... hmmm... interesting.... so I seafoamed, put a leather glove on and flat palmed over the carb... not sure if it was just a story but figured... why not...

Johnson']Clogged fuel filters from stuff coming loose due to the seafoam knocking crap loose in the tank???

That had been a thought but it seems to be getting gas just fine. I even put a little gas down the carb just to be sure. Still wouldn't fire. I'm going to put new plugs in today and see if that cures it.

I swapped in the new plugs this afternoon and it started right up. I warmed the engine a little and revved around 3k RPM until most of the smoke had subsided. The idle is better, the engine is quieter, but now I have a fairly loud tapping coming from the front left side of the engine. (Right side as you face it from the front of the car.) It sounds like a gnome is using a small jack-hammer in there somewhere. I still need to do a oil change following up the seafoam in the oil. Does this sound like the infamous tick of death? What should I do from here?

I swapped in the new plugs this afternoon and it started right up. I warmed the engine a little and revved around 3k RPM until most of the smoke had subsided. The idle is better, the engine is quieter, but now I have a fairly loud tapping coming from the front left side of the engine. (Right side as you face it from the front of the car.) It sounds like a gnome is using a small jack-hammer in there somewhere. I still need to do a oil change following up the seafoam in the oil. Does this sound like the infamous tick of death? What should I do from here?

Hi,

I'd let it fully warm up and change the oil and filter at that point.

Doug

After reading this thread I was a bit nervous to do this to my "new" subie, but I did and I cannot believe how much smoke poured out of the exhaust! It looked like it was on fire, after about 10 minutes it finally stopped an seems to run better. I only ever put this stuff in my motorcycle fuel before this.

After reading this thread I was a bit nervous to do this to my "new" subie, but I did and I cannot believe how much smoke poured out of the exhaust! It looked like it was on fire, after about 10 minutes it finally stopped an seems to run better. I only ever put this stuff in my motorcycle fuel before this.

The stuff seems great. It really has smoothed things out. So far I think my troubles are all "operator error" and no fault of the sea foam. I'll be putting some through my Toyota next.

Most of the smoke is the seafoam itself, remember it's more like oil. Think of tranny fluid or kerosene going into a gas engine in liquid form, it does not burn easily. Which is probably why it desolves the carbon so well. In a liquid state it can saturate and desolve the deposits.

As far as your tick, most likely a lifter not pumping up. Most likely from the seafoam thinning the oil and from the engine sitting a while. When was the last time you changed the oil? Change it now, after warming the engine as mentioned earlier, using a quality filter, Wix, NAPA (Wix), Hastings, Bosch, Subaru OEM. Pour in another 1/3 to 1/2 pint of Seafoam or Marvels Mystery Oil, and let it go until the next oil change. If you want to get serious, pour in an entire bottle of seafoam, or 1 quart of kerosene, or 1 quart of tranny fluid, and let the engine idle for 10 minutes or so before you drain the oil. That will clean it out. Just remember, if there are any heavy deposits, there's a chance that they will clog the lifters, oil pickup screen, or oil passages.

Anyone have any idea what this stuff will do to the Cat. converter? I put a can in the tank with a fill up in Elko NV on the way to Idaho Falls, trying to solve an engine light problem, and the engine seemed to run smoother and the light went out after a few more starts. Had the codes pulled at the dealer in Idaho Falls and they found a fissfire code and said I had a loose plug wire. ($45 and a bargain I thought) Light came back on the way home, changed plugs and it's out again. '99 Forester L 2.5 and it runs pretty good now, 142K with never ending piston slap.:popcorn:

Way back in the '70s, I helped my bud pour a whole can of Gumout or Seafoam directly into the fuel line that led to the carburetor of his Mustang. His neighbors' reaction to the smoke was classic!:lol: :lol:

I figure it's the best way to get the highest concentration of Seafoam through the carburetor, I'd like to try that on my '83 wagon, EA81/Hitachi carb.

My question is this: if I plug the fuel line that comes out of the underhood fuel filter("vapor separator") , is there going to be enough pressure from the fuel pump to cause leakage or uh..an accident?

If clarification is needed, please ask.:rolleyes: