Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When should I replace the spin-on A/T filter on my 2000 outback transmission? The owner of a car dealer/repairer who works only on subarus suggested that the A/T filter on the newer trans is the same as the oil filter that was used on the old Justys. He says that he uses them all the time for his customers. What do you all think out there?

http://www.cars101.com has alot of info on it for all subarus......from what i got from there you should inspect it rather than replace it .......inspect at 30k miles and 90k miles....but under extreme driving replace every 24k miles......so if this was my car i would change it prob. every 40-50k miles......how many miles are on your outback?......Oh and Welcome to the board!:)

i'd use the transmission filter only unless the "justy" or other filter is the exact same part. if it "fits", i wouldn't consider that enough to use it.

i'd follow the service procedure in your owners manual and if it doesn't have a replacement interval i'd lean towards 30k-60k and no more than a year or two.

yeah, a couple different oil filters will fit, but they are not the right filter. The element is different, and transmissions operate at totally different pressure levels. There's a reason they're a $30 or $50 filter, when the current Subaru H4 engine oil filter (that looks almost identical on the outside) is more like a quarter of that cost.

Interestingly, Subaru doesn't have a specified replacement interval for that AT filter, but my feelings (shared by others I speak with) is that if a filter is there, it's filtering something, and as it does, it should be replaced at some point. 100k certainly would be a good idea, if not 60.

http://www.cars101.com has alot of info on it for all subarus......from what i got from there you should inspect it rather than replace it .......inspect at 30k miles and 90k miles....but under extreme driving replace every 24k miles......so if this was my car i would change it prob. every 40-50k miles......how many miles are on your outback?......Oh and Welcome to the board!:)

I'm not a very sharp tack so must ask how does one inspect a oil filter? The only way my low IQ says is to cut it open. Then what? :confused:

how does one inspect a oil filter?

You visually inspect it for rust.

Here is my *thinking*:

The early cars did not come with a transmission oil filter. There must have been "problems", or Subaru would not have released a retro-fit kit, that the dealers installed, under warranty, for nothing. (still available BTW for a low price) So, we must assume, that the filter has a function, and is not decorative. I would *think* that the appropriate time to change the filter is when you are changing the transmission oil. I hate parting with my money, as much as anybody, but following this *thinking* has resulted in a 4EAT with 308,000 miles on it. Maybe blind luck, maybe maintenance, who can say?

how does one inspect a oil filter?

You visually inspect it for rust.[...]

That's right, you look for rust, or perhaps just a bubbling of the paint finish. My own OB, when it was just a few years old, suddenly began dripping ATF. Fearing the worst (why would a low-mileage 4EAT be leaking ? :eek: ), I was relieved to find that the spin-on filter had some seepage due to the apparent action of road salt. A new OEM one isn't cheap, but I wouldn't gamble the difference in price over something that "fits" versus possible transmission repair or replacement.

After reading this thread and resulting posts, I decided to buy a trany filter for my 99 Leggy OBW w/AT. I went to Auto Zone, and picked one up for about $24. It is their house brand called "Deutsch." I made sure it is the filter made specifically for the Subbie trany, and it is. Yea, I know that a lot of people don't like AZ, but their store is near where I live, and the Subbie dealer is far away. Less shopping time, and less money spent on gas won out.