Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sambar for offroad

Scott in Bellingham

Not to take it back in that direction. (sorry Scott, oh and you got a PM headed your way.)

But if you did get one and wanted to not trailer it to the trails all the time.

I'm sure you can get it plated.

I've seen a few Sambar's with full on standard OR plates around town. Just rolling down the road like anyone else.

So someone has found a way. (proly a DMV worker who just does not care.)

I bet set up they just rock the trails. :headbang:

Not to take it back in that direction. (sorry Scott, oh and you got a PM headed your way.)

But if you did get one and wanted to not trailer it to the trails all the time.

I'm sure you can get it plated.

I've seen a few Sambar's with full on standard OR plates around town. Just rolling down the road like anyone else.

So someone has found a way. (proly a DMV worker who just does not care.)

I bet set up they just rock the trails. :headbang:

Its really not hard. You need to change to DOT spec headlights, put proper signals, corners, running lights. May beed to change the rear lights. Sometimes the windsheilds need to be changed. Canada based our import rules on american import rules. The vehicle must be 15 years old to the month (based on the tag in the door). The youll need to get a VIN number assigned to the car. A full on inspection certified by your DMV. You should be good to go. Currently out of my friends we have 6 Imported vehicles.

A skyline

mitsubishi GTO

2 mitsubishi Delicas

2 mitsubishi pajeros

Here's a quote from a dealer's web site:

Although these vehicles make the perfect off-road, all-terrain vehicle, Japanese mini trucks may not meet the requirements of DOT and/or NHTSA, and are not for operation on public streets, highways, roads or any other public areas in the United States. Some states are allowing them on the road, even licensing them; however we cannot import or sell them for anything other than off-road use! All of our trucks have been modified with speed limiting devices to meet the requirement not to exceed 25 mph. These are the rules under which we import them and have no choice.

Another dealer:

Although it is against federal law to license these mini trucks for use on regualar public roads, some have managed to do so due to some confusion at lower government levels. Absolutely do not license them. Those dealers and/or end users who license them may find themselves later on in some very troubling and expensive trouble with the federal government.

Importing a car is not the same as licensing it- just because it's legal to import it does not mean it can be legally licensed. The mini trucks are not DOT approved, which applies to every state in the US, even though every state has different motor vehicle inspection and registration requirements. Some states are less regulated than others, and there are loopholes you can use to get them licensed. Technically illegal, and if you get stopped it just depends how much the cop knows or cares about that sort of thing.

I know my dad would like to have one of these trucks if he could license it, but he lives in New York state (land of many laws) and licensing them there is definitely a no-go.

As far as where to buy them, I see more and more dealers popping up around here, as well as when I travel. Often ATV or tractor dealers will have a few for sale. There are plenty of web sites too.

Andy

Here's a quote from a dealer's web site:

Another dealer:

Importing a car is not the same as licensing it- just because it's legal to import it does not mean it can be legally licensed. The mini trucks are not DOT approved, which applies to every state in the US, even though every state has different motor vehicle inspection and registration requirements. Some states are less regulated than others, and there are loopholes you can use to get them licensed. Technically illegal, and if you get stopped it just depends how much the cop knows or cares about that sort of thing.

I know my dad would like to have one of these trucks if he could license it, but he lives in New York state (land of many laws) and licensing them there is definitely a no-go.

As far as where to buy them, I see more and more dealers popping up around here, as well as when I travel. Often ATV or tractor dealers will have a few for sale. There are plenty of web sites too.

Andy

Parts of the vehicle are not DOT. If you change these to DOT legal parts, you should be able to insure the truck.

Also, you can legally license ANY vehicle if you can provide ALL and PASS all the requirements and testing new north american vehicles go through.

Parts of the vehicle are not DOT. If you change these to DOT legal parts, you should be able to insure the truck.

Not necessarily. The DOT can also deny approval for features of the design of the vehicle. This can include engine emissions, track width, handling characteristics, and other things that would be much more difficult to change. An example is the Ford M151A1 "MUTT" military jeeps. The DOT decided they were unsafe for highway use due to the increased chance of rollover caused by the design of the independent suspension.

DOT rulings can also be politically influenced. Later versions of the MUTT had suspension modifications that solved the handling problems, but the DOT still would not approve them. The theory is that the commercial auto manufacturers did not want them on the market, because they did not want them cutting into sales of the other 4X4s that were available at the time.

You can insure just about any vehicle, weather it's roadworthy or not- but that's totally different from registering it.

Also, you can legally license ANY vehicle if you can provide ALL and PASS all the requirements and testing new north american vehicles go through.

Of course you can. Some vehicles would require only a few changed parts, and some would require an extensive redesign of the entire unit. I don't know which end of that spectrum the mini-trucks fall into.

I suspect if all you had to do to legally license them was to change out some lights and the tires, the dealers who sell them wouldn't be speaking out against putting them on the road. I know my dad specifically asked several dealers if there was any way they could be legally licensed, and the answer was no every time.

It would be pretty easy to illegally license one- you'd just have to take your chances with getting stopped by the police.

Andy

• 1 month later...

They're not terrible offroad, but I would certainly opt for a Hijet or Carry if I were in the market for a hard-hitting offroad-oriented kei truck. Those trucks have solid axles with leaf springs, a mid-mounted engine, and lift kits are readily available.

The Sambar is a good road-going truck... more comfortable ride, quieter (rear-mounted engine), higher top speed, and smoother than the others. Honda's model, the Acty, is similar with its rear-engine/independent suspension setup, but it's full time AWD.

Quite a few are already a supercharged deisel.

Nope. All 90+ kei-class trucks are powered by a gasoline 660cc. Earlier models are 550cc.

I know its not a subaru, but neither are those minitrucks. The Subaru, Diahatsu, Honda, etc.. All the same truck.

Nope, they're actually quite different. I suppose the STi is just a badge-engineered Evolution since they both have four doors, a trunk, AWD, and a turbocharged four cylinder, eh? :rolleyes:

Colin

well look what I found while on a Vacation in Utah ,its Suzuki , the guy says they can license them for up to 50 mph in his area of the country

DSC01986.JPG

They are not street legal in Utah:mad:

I'd assume you'd be able to register it as a farm vehicle but not for street.