Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help on Power Window Problem 01 Legacy

My wife just called and told me when she got home from work her passenger side window won't roll back up. She has an 01 Legacy L. It went down no problem but won't come up. All other windows work fine. She tried the drivers door switch and the switch on the actual door and nothing happens. What are the likely causes? I assume it isn't a switch issue because neither worked. What else would cause it? Fuse? Motor? Wiring? Has anyone else had this issue? My brother has a 95 and I had a 97 for TONS of miles and never had a single window problem.

The problem may be with the switch in the right side door. It has a common connection in the up position with the driver's door switch. People have been able to clean the switch contacts and fix the troubles with these. If you decide to work on it be very careful of the small spings inside that will fly out if the switch is opened. I would do the work inside a clear plastic bag so it would catch anything if it got loose.

So I am now home and I have done a little investigation. It appears the window is further down than normal. On these cars there is a little of the window showing even when it is at it's lowest point. This winow isn't showing any glass and is a little below the edge of the weather stripping. I don't know if that makes a difference but it seem less likely to be the switch or motor in that case to me.

This sounds so familiar! I'll bet a small amount of money (because I'm cheap) that the problem is the driver's power window switch. Been there and had it happen to me. I removed the switch from the door and squirted electrical contact cleaner through any and every opening that I could get it into the switch and then cycled the switch several times. That cleaned up the contacts enough that everything worked perfectly well for 6 months before it reared its ugly head again. This time I opened the switch up to clean up the contacts inside (there is very good advice already given about opening up the switch inside a plastic bag, since I chased a spring across my garage for the better part of an hour before I could find it again) and it worked perfectly for the next 3 years that I owned the car before I traded it. Good Luck!

So I pulled the drivers side switch set. It took considerable prying to pop off the switch actuator from the body. There was a white plastic tip on the bottom of the actuator that was spring loaded. Nothing looked burnt or corroded but I cleaned it a bit. Should I have taken the switch apart further? I put it back together and tried it and still didn't work. I repeated that for the passenger side and still nothing. I have now pulled the door card from the passenger side and nothing looks wrong or out of place.

The problem with the switches is usually inside the switch itself. If you don't have something to check voltage with you could try swapping the front and rear passenger door switches to see if that solves the problem.

I checked the voltage and it seemed to work right. I swapped switches with the rear and the rear worked fine and the front still didn't work. I have a door left from my 97 GT so I pulled that out and plugged the power from the 01 into the motor from the 97 and it worked. That means it is the motor I guess. How do I get the motor out? Has anyone done this?

I checked the voltage and it seemed to work right. I swapped switches with the rear and the rear worked fine and the front still didn't work. I have a door left from my 97 GT so I pulled that out and plugged the power from the 01 into the motor from the 97 and it worked. That means it is the motor I guess. How do I get the motor out? Has anyone done this?

There are three bolts holding the motor to the door panel. I did mine awhile back (the driver side) so I don't remember exactly how each step by step went but I think it was obvious what goes where. Nevertheless, it was a pain to work on it (especially putting it back together). Have someone stand by ready to help because you will need three hands at time. The glass keeps coming down and that is very annoying, so a second person standing by will save you lots of swearings... :mad:

I have a window motor from the 97 legacy. Anyone know if they are the same part or exchangeable? If not I am going to hit up a junk yard or something. Dealership said $400+ for the part plus labor.

So I need to remove the 3 bolts and I can pull the motor out? How do you get to the three bolts?

I have a window motor from the 97 legacy. Anyone know if they are the same part or exchangeable? If not I am going to hit up a junk yard or something. Dealership said $400+ for the part plus labor.

So I need to remove the 3 bolts and I can pull the motor out? How do you get to the three bolts?

Again, if my memory serves me correctly, there are openings (or holes) that enable you to get to these bolts. I think they use size 10 mm socket. Hope this helps.

I plugged a motor from my 97 directly to the wire in the door from the 01. The motor worked fine. It is one of 3 possible things at this point as far as I can tell.

1) the motor really is bad.

2) the 8" of wire between the connection and the motor is bad.

3) There is something bound or frozen so the motor can't move the window in the 01.

I very much doubt #3 because it seems I would hear the motor clicking or winding or something. How would I measure the voltage at the actual motor? I am going to take some pictures tonight and post them to see if that might help.

My wife just called and told me when she got home from work her passenger side window won't roll back up. She has an 01 Legacy L. It went down no problem but won't come up. All other windows work fine. She tried the drivers door switch and the switch on the actual door and nothing happens. What are the likely causes? I assume it isn't a switch issue because neither worked. What else would cause it? Fuse? Motor? Wiring? Has anyone else had this issue? My brother has a 95 and I had a 97 for TONS of miles and never had a single window problem.

i can look at the FSM and see what i can find, to email you how to take the motor out if that helps.

nipper

i can look at the FSM and see what i can find, to email you how to take the motor out if that helps.

nipper

If you can find some info that would be great. I had a Haynes manual from my 97 legacy but I gave it to my brother who has a 95. The guy at the junkyard said something like "unbolt the window and lift it up and the motor will swing over where you can reach it".

If the FSM has better instructions and you could send me them it would be sweet.

If you can find some info that would be great. I had a Haynes manual from my 97 legacy but I gave it to my brother who has a 95. The guy at the junkyard said something like "unbolt the window and lift it up and the motor will swing over where you can reach it".

If the FSM has better instructions and you could send me them it would be sweet.

WHats your email?

• 2 weeks later...

So the window is working again. I don't think I went about it the right way but it is set. I couldn't get to the motor or the bracket really so I had to remove almost every bolt on every track related to the window. That allowed me to twist and manuever the motor out of the door through an opening in the bottrom of he door so I could get at the screws that connect the motor to the bracket. Once exposed I could remove the motor assy by removing 3 screws. I bolted on the one I got from the junk yard and pushed and twisted the assembly back into the door. After putting all of the screws back in and the window back on the tracks it all seems to work. I still don't believe I did it correct. No way swapping a window motor should require removing 12+ screws and bolts, and then prying the motor out of the door.

Thanks for all the help