Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Score: GMC 1, Impreza 0 **pics added

0507081738.jpg

Wife stopped for a yellow light, 1 ton GMC behind her didn't. She's okay but the car's probably gonna get totaled, although I'm gonna buy it back if it does, since I need the front end for a 94 Impreza I have at mom & dad's that was crunched in the front...

And since I can already see the vultures circling, yes, I do plan on selling the parts I don't use before I send the rest to the scrapyard.

nothing worse than looking in your rear view mirror and watching an impending collision

considering the size of what hit her, i'd say subaru 1, blind gmc owners 0 :dead:

very good to hear everythings okay, i'm tellin' ya, the roads are a scarier place every day . . .:-\

chris

0507081738.jpg

Wife stopped for a yellow light, 1 ton GMC behind her didn't. She's okay but the car's probably gonna get totaled, although I'm gonna buy it back if it does, since I need the front end for a 94 Impreza I have at mom & dad's that was crunched in the front...

And since I can already see the vultures circling, yes, I do plan on selling the parts I don't use before I send the rest to the scrapyard.

I've driven worse. A sledgehammer, taillight from a trailer, you're all set.

Dave

I agree with the previous posts. It doesn't look like sufficient damage to turn the wreck into a parts car. If the rest of the car is in decent shape, it shouldn't take much work to repair. It is far better to accept a check from GMC's insurance company, and fix it yourself, and keep the extra cash for yourself. On older cars with many miles, it doesn't make much sense to take to a body shop for expensive repairs. You prolly have the talent and time to work on cars, or you wouldn't be on this forum.

I am glad your wife did not get injured. I also know that most wives don't like driving cars with much visible damage. Guys don't seem to care so much, at least I don't. If you don't fix it up to be picture pretty for your wife, then make it your daily driver, or have as a nice back up car.

Yow. Glad your wife's okay. Shows how a Subaru's built, though, any other car a 1-ton GMC hit would have a lot more damage.

Fix it, please! (If you don't, I'm going to be one of the circling vultures, I need a couple oddball interior parts :) )

My entire family nags me about how fanatical I am about checking my rear view. I've noticed the tendency for drivers to tailgate is getting much worse, but the problem is that Subarus stop on a dime, no matter the weather.

Add in orange-light runners (it's yellow, going red, go very, very fast now!) and you get lots of gray hair. I stop, they're NOT. I've actually had to stomp my car's gas pedal and jerk her into the right turn lane to avoid a collision in Arizona - 3 times now and it's only been 5 weeks!

May your ride soon be fixed, and think about getting a patent on a car-mounted rear-deck flamethrower for those careless buffoons who tailgate... :grin:

(alas, my kingdom for a turret-mounted laser or phaser or dragonbreath of choice)

It's actually worse than it looks in the pics, the quarter is crumpled too. The wife took some pics today which she's in the process of uploading, I'm still debating whether to fix this one with parts from the other car, or fix the other car with parts from this one. The other one is smashed in the front pretty good but the core support and stuff is easier to hide with other parts if you get it on crooked :lol:

I suggested the jimmy rig tail light thing, since I have a Camry tail light floating around my pile of parts, but she didn't want it fixed ghetto style so for now I'm driving the 90 Cressida that's supposed to be a fix and sell lol (Just put a new head gasket, timing belt, and water pump in it) and she's driving my 90 Legacy wagon, since she won't let me drive the SVX until I fix it, and I can't fix it until I get the 86 turbo sedan painted and her turbo legacy running lol (Boy am I glad she wasn't driving that one, or the SVX for that matter...)

I'm okay with using it as a parts car because I have a Turbo Legacy waiting in the wings (once we get the downpipe and a couple of other misc. parts.) So, I'm not terribly attached to the car. I told the guy that I had a leaky trunk anyhow and was planning to fix it anyway, and he just laughed. :P He wasn't a jerk, so no one should really be talking bad about him. He did try his best to miss me which is why the damage is isolated to the left side of the car only.

Him: 0507081739.jpg

Me:

0508080814.jpg

Well, latest estimate was $3800, so chances are it'll get totaled. It's looking like this one is going to get fixed with parts from the white 94, since the 94 is a base model and has like NO options, so among other things I'll have a good 2WD EJ18 drive train for sale (5 speed)