Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some stupid q's by me

Ok so i got this 89 rx but my dad and his boss wont let me do any mods to it because its such a rare car in the us. but i want to make it handle better and maybe put rims on it w/o doing 5 lug with impreza suspension. and i also think it has the front ebrake like the xts do and would like to convert that to a rear ebrake. What should i do...

Ok so i got this 89 rx but my dad and his boss wont let me do any mods to it
What should i do...

Keep it stock.

You wont get a rear eBrake unless you do the 5 lug swap. You also wont get to use any impreza or legacy suspension unless you do the 5 lug swap.

You can get some OEM replacement struts from KYB that are stiffer than stock and it will help alot. You can also replace the front and rear swaybars with those from a XT6 which will also help handling.

-Brian

its not that rare, well, maybe in pa.

i will admit, it will be hard to upgrade the brakes and handling without going for a 5 lug swap. they are a lot more fun to play with hen modded as well. i had all sorts of stuff done to my rx. it was a blast to drive.

And just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable. It's not like you're tearing apart some hand built antique. Modify the car to improve it's performance, but try to keep the apperance stock and you'll keep everyone happy.

exactly!!

its like the guiy that lives near where i used to work, has a bunch of old cars rottign in his yard, including a really nice, or was nice, porche 911. he refuses to sell it cause he thinks that it will be worth a lot more in the future. dude doesnt understand that rust isnt worth anything.

there's no point in moving the ebrake to the rear, unless you want to do some fun sliding, which is likely to wind up with you off the road and more repairs needed...

like TheSubaruJunkie said, get some kyb struts, the help A LOT... you can get some decent looking 13" rims anywhere, but for better performance and less sidewall movement you can get some peugeot rims in 14" or 15" and run a lower profile tire with the same outer diameter...

and yeah, they aren't THAT rare... but you don't want to make it more rare by thinking it's a stock-car and racing it into the ground... do the little things and drive it within its limits... enjoy it for longer...

--Spiffy