Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88' wagon, Harvesting parts..

My first ever gut-out of a Subaru... long story short (too late!)

I have two 88' wagons (non-T):

One that used to run DL, (parked 2 years ago-needs clutch & engine reseal-another day) has the 5-speed with the button 4x4, was a great runner.

The other 88' wagon (no engine, cracked front window, bad axles x2, minor body bangs, window down, cat gave birth to kittens, spiders & I have harvested misc. parts too keep my other wagon running) has the Hi/Low 5 speed GL, body is virtualy rust free that I got for free over 3 years ago.

I have a Brat with a bad Tranny that has sat for almost 4 years so the logical thought is to put the 5 Hi/Low speed into the Brat. Been in contact with BratsRus1 (jerry) regarding his installation kit etc... and getting ready to start my first every tranny rip-out and 5-speed install... :clap: to get my son's 84' Brat back on the road.

I hate to toss a near rust free 88' GL but it has sat in the back field nearly 4 years and I know I will never put the $ back into bringing it too life so I think it is time too pull the plug... which I did today. Thus far I have the computer (black box) under the dash, the dash is 90% disconnected (can't believe all the wires!)so I can get the wiring harness, Monday I will harvest the tranny for the Brat and anything else under there that looks like saving.

It may have been a rash, Noob-move to just go out and pull the plug :dead: but that's what I did... time of death 7:50 p.m., computer pulled...

So a simple question: Is there anything else that I should remove to save for my other 88'? DL-vrs-GL?

So a simple question: Is there anything else that I should remove to save for my other 88'? DL-vrs-GL?

EVERYTHING. Strip it to a bare shell. Remove everything that can be removed then invest $25 in sawzall blades and cut the body up for scrap metal. This both avoids having a shell laying around, and avoids paying the scrapman to take it away (and most want it rolling) - just load up the bits and get your money back on the blades + a half-rack of brew for your time at the metal recyclers.

And you can stock ALL the parts for spares - never know when you'll need a rear diff, or a front knuckle, or a brake master cylinder... ect. The stuff is too expensive to just throw away if you can help it.

GD

Ouch!

I hate to see a great body go to scrap.

I have a rusty 88 gl wagon. Driveline and interior are great but the full swap would be a heavy project.

I just keep looking for a mint wagon. They are very few around here these days.

Good luck.

Ouch!

I hate to see a great body go to scrap.

I have a rusty 88 gl wagon. Driveline and interior are great but the full swap would be a heavy project.

I just keep looking for a mint wagon. They are very few around here these days.

Good luck.

Exactly my point ... my other 88 has some rust issue from the Wet side of the state but to make the swap into this better body would be major time sucking event... I just had to pull the plug for my next adventure to begin and that is to 5 sp. my Brat.

Along side the 88', still in reserve is my 82' wagon(no engine), no rust, premo shape... sitting in slumber amongst the weeds...waiting...waiting...

+1 on the save what I can... and will see about contributing parts to the members once I figure out how far I am going to pull parts and storage. (at in-laws acerage.)

EVERYTHING. Strip it to a bare shell. Remove everything that can be removed then invest $25 in sawzall blades and cut the body up for scrap metal. This both avoids having a shell laying around, and avoids paying the scrapman to take it away (and most want it rolling) - just load up the bits and get your money back on the blades + a half-rack of brew for your time at the metal recyclers.

GD

Hey GD and Pacific NW guys - the majority of everyone here, right? ;)

What are scrap prices like up there?

Here in the East they are 12 cents per pound at the scrapyard for whole-auto scrap (don't have to pull anything from the vehicle except tires and battery, and don't have to drain any fluids other than gas tank. So even 1000 lbs of leftover stripped-out Sub metal would be $120. And if you can't haul it to the scrap yard, the junk guys out here will pay you to haul off your metal.

Yep, about a year ago I got rid of my rusty parts wagon. I stripped all the easy and small stuff, but since it was at in-law acreage 19 hours away from home, I left a lot of the bulky stuff, and it was still rolling (2 tires only). But the JY still payed me to take it and I was pleased with that. I haven't wished for anything I left yet, but I bet I will. But I've already used several of the things I kept.