Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New plan, trade WRX for Outback........

I am really torn on this. I love my WRX like nothing else, but in the two years we have had it we have put 10k on it. It was never intended to be a daily driver, but a toy. We were going to pay it off and then get a new Outback, but I have come to the realization that an Outback is a far more usefull car for us, that and my wife really deserves a new car. I see that I am using "but" an awefull lot in this thread. I just filled up the WRX and it cost me $55:eek: , and I don't see that getting better any time soon. With a new Outback we can get the dogs in, go camping and just have a very reliable daily driver, and a little better milage on cheaper fuel. I would also move up into our 97 Outback which gets better milage and is much more comfortable then my 86 lifted hatch. It just killes me to think that I could be giving up a "once in a life time" car, 'cause once it's gone I'll never be able to find another 06/07 WRX with that kind of miles that hasn't been beat to death. Sorry for the book, I'll add cliff notes :grin:

Cliff notes: chef tim should trade in his WRX but is torn over it.

Thanks for listening, Tim

Times change.

And sometimes that means vehicles also.

If and when I ever get a WRX, its going to be old with high miles.

Just like all my Soobs have been.

Unless the price of gas keeps going up.

Then I might be in the market for a 360 :rolleyes:

The WRXs cost more to insure and are cop magnets too. I got pulled over in my base Impreza a couple of times and found out the second time that if the cops see anything remotely suspicious going on with that car (cop confided in me after learning we both work for local government), they pull it over. They are not going to bother to see if it is a Impreza or WRX. So I have given up Imprezas and XTs for now since they are the only cars I ever got pulled over in since I was a teenager. This is from a person that has only been to traffic court once in my life (thanks Impreza) and not for speeding.

Maybe some day I will have an older one as a toy, but having it as a daily driver I feel like I would end up in traffic court soon.

Tim.. sounds to me like you have already answered your own question...sometimes practicallity overrides. Right now you might think you will never find another in the future...but if things are ment to be you will. You mentioned the advantages of going with an Outback...and ..the new ones are OMG drop dead sexy. Thats what I really wanted when I bought the Imp...but couldnt afford one. You seem to have already made the Pros and Cons list.

I know you will make the right choice. ( OH! I feel bad now..I put way more miles on my Imppy in 6 months then you have in 2 years..14K)

Yeah, I really have, some times it just helps to see it in writeing (seeing the writeing on the wall??) And hearing from a few commen sense friends. Here's another reason, not really having to worry about where to park. Sure i don't want door dings in any new car but I think it would be easier to take with an Outback. We're going in today to talk to them, if the dealer is open.

Thanks all, Tim

PS I've got my last two speeding tickets in our 97 Outback :rolleyes: never even a second look from cops in the San Remo red WRX :-p

I feel your pain. While I think the WRX wagon is the most practical of pocket rockets, I can see where the 4-door sedan can be a bit cramped. Premium fuel certainly doesn't help matters.

You probably know this but I think it's worth repeating given the pristine condition of your Rex:

- Don't tell the dealer you have a trade-in until you fight it out and get a final price on your new Outback.

- If you don't mind the hassle, you should try to sell the Rex directly by yourself. You should be able to list your Rex above the NADA/Bluebook retail given it's mint condition. Of course, you'll have an army of speed freaks beating a trail to your house... You'll get a lot more $$$ for it as your dealer will screw you on the price of the Outback without your knowing it while seeming to give you a decent trade-in price.

- You can always start with Craigslist for free and post a ridiculously high price for your Rex and see what happens.

Cheers,

Yeah, I really have, some times it just helps to see it in writeing (seeing the writeing on the wall??) And hearing from a few commen sense friends. Here's another reason, not really having to worry about where to park. Sure i don't want door dings in any new car but I think it would be easier to take with an Outback. We're going in today to talk to them, if the dealer is open.

Thanks all, Tim

PS I've got my last two speeding tickets in our 97 Outback :rolleyes: never even a second look from cops in the San Remo red WRX :-p

I'll make you a deal on my turbo '97 outback :)

Mick, If the car was for me, I'd be first in line!!!!

360, turbo is no longer an issue, we need to have an efficient, cost effective vehicle. (yes I know, not the most E/E but it has other benefits).

I'm doing the deal long distance, my dealership is over-nighting the paper work to the dealer here in Helena MT, then I'm going to send it back (prepaid, overnight). I think they gave me a good deal, and most importain is Vicky is really excited about "her" new car :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Later, Tim