Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the ultimate test

on tuesday the 3rd i'll be heading out of lewiston over to eastern montana. not sure how my subaru will handle the 840 miles trip. kinda nervous to take it, but i'll be taking a complete set of tools so if nothing else this will be a great time to bond with her even more.

so anybody in montana keep an eye out for this car:

driversside.jpg

i shouldn't be too hard to miss, i'll probably be the only old subaru with idaho license plates in that part of the country. :lol: and to make sure its me, look for a V in front of all the other letters.

wish me luck! :banana:

I just ran my 235K mile 83 coupe....600 miles a couple weeks ago...no working guages ( digi dash is blown) All it had prior was a tune up while in seattle before it spent a week on a car carrier heading to CT..since then its been snuggled in the garage and had a couple short runs...It did wonderful..actually did it good to get a good long run..smoothed everything out.

You should be fine...EA81 = Bulletproof .....slow but bulletproof:)

Have faith in the Subaru

Make sure all the water hoses are in good shape along with the tires and belts.

+ 1million

You have several dozen long steep climbs ahead of you on this trip. And it gets hot out in the flats of Montana.

Carry extra belts

Carry plenty of coolant.

Carry extra radiator hoses. Also, carry at least a foot of 1/4 diameter coolant hose for the little coolant hoses that warm the base of the carb, and also 2 feet of 5/8th heater hose. Don;t forget a few clamps of each size in case the old ones are boogered.

Watch you're temp gauge like a hawk.

Murphy would say this gives you the best chances of not having to use any of this stuff. You'll be fine either way. Connies right about these cars loving the roadtrips. It'll be good for the car.

Enjoy the trip. Watch for the incredile view down the canyon just after you crest *Lookout Pass*