Ultimate Subaru Message Board

still fighting with my 85 brat

ebay there is a new complete weber kit for 320 shipped

yeah, unfortunatly, that is more than i want to spend on the stock engine. i just want it to run long enough to build my other engine, which, i am hoping, will be toward the end of summer to the middle of fall.

I have some SPFI parts... what all do you need to do the conversion?

I may be able to help you out... I have three complete intakes :grin:

i guess i need everything for the swap, lol. i am going to try another stock carb first though. ill get in touch with you about the spfi swap stuff if i cant get another carb.

we will get this thing figured out, im sure of it. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

ok, a bit of an update, i finally found the proper carb kit for the brat. i got it running again, but its still not right.

the idle is about 2500rpm, it revs if oyu cover the carb, it also revs if you give it the gas pedal. if you press very lightly on the pedal though, it bogs. other than that though, it seems to be running a lot better and smoother than it was. i might try adjusting the timing, that fixed the odd reving issues i had before, but it will have to wait till later. most likely tomarrow.

i was having the same issue with mine. ended up being the vacume advance on my dizzy was bad. had to advance it all the way to have top end and a decent bottom end. replaced that and its alot better now. i just know my carb is junk cause the accelerator pump is leaking and the choke is broke.

waiting till payday to get the rebuild kit for my weber.

boy, thems fightin words.

ive put too much into this car to even entertain the idea of parting with it ever.

I sympathize. I've spent the last month getting one back on the road. Good luck, and be sure to post often and let us know how you make out. :drunk:

hey tim, i skimmed this thread but how old is the gas?

i just got done tinkering with my XT and found the gas was old. still not running perfect, but it starts and idles now where before it wouldn't start.

the gas in it isnt too old since the old gas bas burnd upfor the most part and i put in a bit of fresh not too long ago, maybe two months or so.

i think the adjustments are just off as it is now. i had to move things around before when i had the wrong parts and homemade gaskets in it.

i am planning on tryig to get some more fresh gas in it this weekend since i am almost out anyways.

carbs suck no doubt, hope you get it worked out. clean and adjust everything youu can on that freaking carb - there's a reason companies don't use them any more.

i just bought a tractor, one of my top priorities was that it was fuel injected. it's awesome, no more carbed mowing for me. FI weedeaters anyone!????

thats awsome gary, didnt know they made fi mowes and what not.

as for my carb, its been cleaned soo many times, you could eat off of it, if you didnt mind gas flavoring.

im just happy that i got it actually running last night. before it would start, run about 5-10 seconds and sputter out. now it holds the idle and you can rev it an it doesnt stall when it comes back down. i am going to play with it tonight when i get off of work, maybe i canget somewhere on it.

if i can get it running properly, and get safe seats, i am going to finally get it registered. once its registered, the real work can begin. i am looking at buying my friend's 87 rx for the drivetrain since the engine is having issues. that way ill have a good 5 speed swap and limited slip rear. i guess i need to see if there is any interest in the rolling shell, hell it has a 5 lug swap and is lowered already, would be perfect for an ej swap. i would do that if i had the space to store and work on it. that would be nuts for auto-x.

but back on topic, once i get teh brat on th road, im going to start working towards getting the suspension set up customized and then get it converted to 5 lug, finally. then ill be able to got the 5 speed swap done.

most likely, ill drive it for a while with the stock engine after i go 5spd and 5 lug, but i still have to build the turbo engine i want to put into it anyways, so it will be a little while before i see boost again :(

eh, what can i say, i have big dreams, lol.