Ultimate Subaru Message Board

poor steering question 98 legacy possible repair??

Well another time for me to sink some dough into my 98 legacy.

On my way to work this morning after sitting at a stop light my battery light and brake light came on . My power steering seems to be out of wack. I can drive 'fine' but at low speeds I have to really crank on the wheel. I have checked the power steering reservoir and it seems fine. ( I don't really know how to tell if it is low) The thing is for the past couple of weeks I have been noticing a clunking as i turn right. I assumed this was my cv boot or something and that it could wait for a bit. Well now this situation has come up and I wonder why those two lights would suddenly come on. I guess I'm just looking for some clarity or peace of mind. I figure i will have to take it in to get it addressed. I wonder if it might be a line or something else since the reservoir looks full. Is there any chance for a quick or inexpensive repair suggestion?

Thanks all

seems like the crank pulley could be failing or the belt could be slipping. this would affect all of these systems (brake light, power steering, battery), so i would check there immediately, particularly considering this can damage your engine if the pulley fails completely.

first have a look at the pulley to see if it's out of round or wobbling at all while the engine is running.

crank pulleys have a thin rubber ring inside of them. i would paint/draw a white (or noticeable) line across the entire face of the crank pulley. that's the main pulley that both belts go around on the center of the engine. it's the only pulley that has both belts attached to it. turn the car on and drive for a bit. if the line you drew is no longer lined up, your pulley is beginning to separate.

if the pulley is bad you have the option of buying a used one for $25-$50 off someone on this board or a junk yard or a new one for....whatever Subaru charges probably $150+.

make sure you power steering belt is properly tightened - not too loose, not too tight and that the power steering pulley is spinning. have someone rev the engine while you watch the pulley - it should equally gain speed with the motor.

let us know what you find out.

On my way to work this morning after sitting at a stop light my battery light and brake light came on .

some one else will confirm or correct, but i think this means, bad alternator, but check the brake fluid just to be sure.

My power steering seems to be out of wack. I can drive 'fine' but at low speeds I have to really crank on the wheel. The thing is for the past couple of weeks I have been noticing a clunking as i turn right. I assumed this was my cv boot or something and that it could wait for a bit.

Thanks all

if it only does it when turning in one direction.... probably a bad axle. if it does it in both, i'd be sure to rule out torque bind by driving it in tight circles , in both directions.

i don't think the lights have anything to do with the steering problem.

I mean the em brake light is on. not the brake tail lights. I am gathering form this that I should try to get addresses as soon as possible. huh. I hope to drive it another day and then leave it with a shop as i will be traveling soon. Although i could try to have it taken in tomrrow am if the shop has an opening. I really don't want to drop more than 4-7 if possible 7 seems steep. but I have to do some errnads. now.

So I looked at it and there is only one belt on the front. i picked up a belt and will be trying to do this myself. I don't know much about it but it seems like a pretty easy task. Any tips? I am not even sure if i've got the right tools.....

congrats on replacing the belt! you feel like you got it on there right and tightened properly?

is anyone else wondering how in the #(*)&!* a belt just ends up missing?? no explanation, no prior information like the car was bought that way, it made a crazy noise...nothing. just, "no belt".

WHAT?!

whatever happened, make sure it's tightened properly and none of the bolts and such are stripped or missing to lock it in place.

[...]is anyone else wondering how in the #(*)&!* a belt just ends up missing?? no explanation, no prior information like the car was bought that way, it made a crazy noise...nothing. just, "no belt".

WHAT?!

If you reread the original post, it seems like the belt may have been on the way out, and finally broke. (Possibly a chunk was missing, causing the reported "clunking" during turns due to increased load on the PS pump?)

Or (as you previously suggested, Gary) the crank pulley is loose, and the belt got thrown due to lessened tension and misalignment.

Or, a Road Gremlin took it. ;)

Which leads me to ask, how long ago was your timing belt changed.

nipper

maybe he wants extensive internal engine damage as an excuse to buy a new motor!?!

for real - nippers is asking because you have an interference engine. if the timing belt breaks your engine is most likely toast....or a very expensive repair. timing belts are 60,000 or 105,000 mile change interval items (depending which motor you have).