Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The theory of them is solid, but the implementation of the theory may not produce noticeable results in real-world use. The company said they'd send me some for a fleet test at work and generating UOA data, but never followed through. I didn't bug them about it because we have plenty to do already. I just thought it would be a cool test that would generate some interesting data.

• 6 months later...
Has anyone tried these Pulstar Plugs in a Subaru yet?

$25 a plug but 30 day money back. If no one has tried them, I'll give them a try in my 98 OBS 2.2.

Not here that i know of but i do have a bridge i can sell you.

Soobys are simple cars they like the stock plugs, otherwise you can misfire codes on the ECU. They have been tried on the outback board and showed no real benefit except for the sale of code scanners to figure out the misfire codes.

nipper

I am aware of data (not generated by nor in any way related to the company) showing that these plugs improved combustion efficiency noticeably. This was a racing application, but given the totality of the info that was shared with me, they should improve street combustion as well. Whether you'll be able to see it in mpg or anything like that I can't say. Sure would be cool to hear what you think if you're wanting to try them anyway.

I wait for the sale and get the NGK for $1.99.

On another board here is what one fellow who has tried them in an Outback had to say:

Every time I fill up I check the MPG and I am still only seeing the same averages I saw before putting the plugs in.

I've had the car since 2003 and the best MPG I ever got BEFORE putting in the plugs was 27 MPG, so anything over that would make me happy. Overall I'm not even getting the estimated 23 MPG that Subaru claims I should have with combination local/highway driving. Only once, on a long trip that was all highway, where I was primarily going down from the mountains into the flatlands did I get 31MPG, but ANYONE would have done better on that leg of my trip. The rest of the trip my MPG was a disappointment even though it was ALL highway. As far as I'm concerned I wasted my money on these plugs.

Why fix what's not broken? NGK plugs have always outperformed Champion, ND, Autolite that I have tried. I'm certainly not going to try a $25 plug (x4) to see if I might save a few pennies on gas.

I'm with you on that one! Oh and champion plugs should only ever be used in lawn mowers!:lol:

I bought some NGK Iridiums and some racing plug wires and still didn't notice any difference in gas mileage in my EJ18 impreza. Actually think it idles a bit rougher now... I'll stick with the simple and cheap stuff next time.

Advantage of the iridium ones though, they're supposed to last a LONG time.

Edited by Subaru_dude

I bought some NGK Iridiums and some racing plug wires and still didn't notice any difference in gas mileage in my EJ18 impreza. Actually think it idles a bit rougher now... I'll stick with the simple and cheap stuff next time.

Advantage of the iridium ones though, they're supposed to last a LONG time.

Iridiums is actually what they recommend in the 2.5 motors. But that's probably just because it's a PITA to change them!