Ultimate Subaru Message Board

left faster, right slower

86 GL, 2wd, 5spd, hitachi carbed wagon

i know how pointless it is to troubleshoot a feedback hitachi, but

i've noticed when coasting down a mountain in neutral that when i take a left turn (counterclockwise) the idle will drift up a couple hundred rpm and when taking a right hand curve (clockwise) the idle will drop a couple hundred rpm.

is this characteristic of anything in particular? (float sticking, something on the tank side of things, etc.)

i know, its a feedback hitachi, but i know lots of yall have vigorously and stubbornly studied and troubleshot these things before you washed your hands of them in favor of webers and fuel injection.

appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

thanks, Bill

86 GL, 2wd, 5spd, hitachi carbed wagon

i know how pointless it is to troubleshoot a feedback hitachi, but

i've noticed when coasting down a mountain in neutral that when i take a left turn (counterclockwise) the idle will drift up a couple hundred rpm and when taking a right hand curve (clockwise) the idle will drop a couple hundred rpm.

is this characteristic of anything in particular? (float sticking, something on the tank side of things, etc.)

i know, its a feedback hitachi, but i know lots of yall have vigorously and stubbornly studied and troubleshot these things before you washed your hands of them in favor of webers and fuel injection.

appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

thanks, Bill

We could make a trip to the Pull-a-part in Knoxville and get all the SPFI parts off of a wagon there if you want. I think it would be well worth the time. I'm due for a trip anyway. Lemme know, I get most of the week off.

And to answer your question, I have no idea.:rolleyes:

Well, I have no experience with the Hitachi's at all. But I had problems similar to that with Rochester 2 jet's (on some of my previous GM products :) ) It was always the floats on them. I'm sure someone with some valuable info will chime in though,haha.

Probably just needs the float adjusted. There's a sight glass on the side of the float bowl - it should be right in the middle.

Could be low fuel pressure also but as they run around 2 psi it's hard to get a good reading on it without a decent gauge. Cheap gauges just aren't accurate at low pressure's like that.

GD

• 2 months later...