Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clicking when turning vibration at 70 mph

Car: 1997 Outback

Miles: 225000

Transmission: Auto

Problems:

When making sharp turns left or right (more so when left) when parking I can hear clicking that speeds up or slows down as i go faster or slower. It seems to only happen when I am on the gas while turning. Though I may be wrong.5 months ago I had a torn front drivers side axle boot replaced. I probably drove about 2,000 miles on it torn. though

After the dealer fixed the axle boot I noticed the car would vibrate slightly around 70mph. Just enough to annoy you. It didn't bother me too much so I didn't say anything. Its getting worse, now it seems to vibrate 65-75. But more so on some roads then others.

I am thinking these problems could be from a couple of things.

Need new wheel bearings, Axle, transmission, alignment or all of the above.

I have no tears on the Axle boots, I checked the power searing fluid.

Have not had the transmission fluid changed as far as I know in years if ever. I do have torque bind at slow speeds as well.

Any help? :-\

PS: I really beat this car hard in the winter months.

you need a new front axle.

get a new axle from MWE or a used Subaru axle. if you don't want old boots, get a used Subaru axle and take it with new boots to the mechanic.

do not get an aftermarket axle, they absolutely suck - all of them. do a search for "axle" and you'll see numerous threads about new axles breaking, vibrating, leaking, making noises, etc.

Ahhh, never knew ccrengines was MWE. Cool!
they aren't the same company nor are they related in any business way. they are adjacent to each other and CCR allows them space on their web page. but they are two distinct businesses. all of my new axles come from MWE.

you need a new front axle.

get a new axle from MWE or a used Subaru axle. if you don't want old boots, get a used Subaru axle and take it with new boots to the mechanic.

do not get an aftermarket axle, they absolutely suck - all of them. do a search for "axle" and you'll see numerous threads about new axles breaking, vibrating, leaking, making noises, etc.

Very true stay away from aftermarket axles, they may be cheaper in the short term but once you start replacing axles every year it adds up. I think the same applies to alternators as well, I never came across a reliable aftermarket axle or alternator for any subaru that I have ever owned.

I took it to the dealer...They said the noise is coming from the torque binding of the AWD clutch. They also said the car was missing a weight in one of the wheels so they did an alignment and "fixed" that problem. Total price $30 (including a Free 3.0 outback rental for the day)

What do you guys think? Just let it tear itself apart? Would driving with the FWD fuse in save the clutch? Is that safe or will I get more problems? So I just try doing a Transmission flush?

hrmmmm

Do a search on Torque Bind. Usually dealers are very good at diagnosing torque bind, but i am having a problem adding everything up.

Do you have a problem pulling into parking spaces or making tight turns?

Do all your tires match and are properly inflated?

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed?

nipper

Do you have a problem pulling into parking spaces or making tight turns? YES

(It is much better with the FWD fuse in, but I still have the clicking when giving it gas while making sharp turns)

Do all your tires match and are properly inflated? YES just had them aligned as well.

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? ??? no clue possibly years.

I know I have torque bind but I just dont know if this clicking is coming from that. Should I try changing my transmission fluid?

Maybe I missed it:

Did the Subaru (?) dealer change just the boot? They didn't fix the CV joint or replace the axle?

Did it click b4 they 'fixed' it or only after? Is the clicking definitely coming from the side that they 'fixed'?

I've had TB on 2 Subies - a '91 and '95, neither clicked, other than dragging their tires in turns, which isn't the same noise. I thought Subaru fixed this on the '97, but w/your miles it's possible.

Yes, change the AT Fluid...if you can have it done 3+ times (during the same visit), I've read it gets a full fluid change and is the most effective....you might get lucky.

Did the dealer do an alignment or balance your tires?

Does it still vibrate @ 70mph?

I had a CV axle replaced w/an aftermarket (b4 I saw how bad they are here) and it vibrated @ 70mph and clicked when new, swapped it out after 3 months.

Good Luck.

It was a balance and a rotate..sorry.

But they did have to put some kind of balancing weight that was missing. Its hard to tell if its vibrating as bad. I will have to wait till I drive on a longer trip. Though i noticed there is a vibration in a lower gear while accelerating. It goes away if accelerate through it or if I let off the gas and let it to shift.

The highway vibrating is much worse on some roads then others.

The axle boot was fixed but they took everything apart and inspected it before putting it all together. The clicking started after they did the axle boot. As did the vibration.

Its kind of hard to get it to click if you want it to click. Like if i turn the wheel all the way on way or the other and go forward or revers it doesnt always make the sound. It really shows itself in normal city/parking lot style driving.