Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pushbutton start?

Normally ones accesories, ones ignition, ones starter, and one from the battery.

Do you mean a system where you push a button and it auto starts (turning off starter when started) or hold the button down til it starts?

I'm pretty sure the smaller blue wire is the starter. Just need a button from pos to that wire and it will start as long as your key is turned to ignition on.

Not what you are asking, but...

Do you have a title? Are you near a dealership? The dealer can often look up the keycode for your Subaru... the older the car the more iffy it seems to get. They require the VIN for this, and the title to prove that you have a right to this info. Then, for between $3 and $50-ish dollars they can give you a new key. (The higher prices are for newer cars with special features in the key.)

If not near the dealer, some locksmiths can also do the same thing. I am also told that the keycode is marked on the passenger-side door lock mechanism.

Trying for a new key might be nicer than looking like a crook and making it easy for real crooks. :)

You need more than a push-button. You need some switches as well to turn on the accessory circuits or nothing will be powered after you release the momentary starter button. At least a three position switch - off, acc, and run. It's not hard to wire it - take the column apart and remove the switch from the back of the lock tumbler. Get out your DMM and it shouldn't take long before you understand. Or find the wiring diagram in any of the commonly available manuals.

GD

If not near the dealer, some locksmiths can also do the same thing. I am also told that the keycode is marked on the passenger-side door lock mechanism.

That is 100% correct. I just had one done about 3 months ago. $25 to code cut a brand new key for my hatch (my only copy was too worn). And $3 for each copy of same. I had 4 made and hid one under the car in a mag box.

The code is on the tumbler and takes all of 5 minutes to remove. It's just a spring clip that holds them on.

GD

Not what you are asking, but...

Do you have a title? Are you near a dealership? The dealer can often look up the keycode for your Subaru... the older the car the more iffy it seems to get. They require the VIN for this, and the title to prove that you have a right to this info. Then, for between $3 and $50-ish dollars they can give you a new key. (The higher prices are for newer cars with special features in the key.)

Trying for a new key might be nicer than looking like a crook and making it easy for real crooks. :)

well no title, i got it for cheap, so im planning on making it an off road toy

An aftermarket generic ignition switch is about $8. And it has all of the positions you'll need for completely replacing the ignition switch. Otherwise, you'd need at least two switches.. one on/off for the run position, and one momentary for the starter motor.

Z

FTY the original ignition switch turns off the accessories wire when starting. Try looking for info on Google about how to wire switches. Better learn what your gonna do then just doing it and then having an electrical fire later (I'm serious about the fire).

well no title, i got it for cheap, so im planning on making it an off road toy

Its not the end of the world to actually remove the tumbler from the column... (though if I recall two of the fasteners are factory stripped as to not be easy to remove, though this can be resolved with a drill and some new fasteners from the hardware store, etc). on several occasions I have just taken the tumbler down to the locksmith and for $30 he was able to make me a key just from reverse engineering the way the tumbler was coded.