Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xmsn swap nightmare and 1 question

There has been some discussion lately about which is best way to get a xmsn out.

Pull the engine first. I pulled the tranny out last week and it was way too much work.

Without a hoist to use I would rather have a root canal without nitrous or novacaine.

Having said that, the new xmsn is in, but the blasted splash plate that covers the clutch and flywheel got bent, is rubbing badly and making a heck of a racket.

Can it be snuck out without engine removal?

This job is consuming too much of my quickly fading michigan summer.

tnx

r

yes that splash plate can easily be removed from under the car with very little work...at least if we're thinking about the same part. i'm not sure what i'd call it, but i think it's the part you're tlaking about. right under the bellhousing access hole under the car? just bend it back in shape, or remove it, bend it and reinstall or put another one in ( from your old trans since you did a swap)?

they get bent often, they're very thin and only attached by two bolts.

as for trans removal, if it's any comfort it wouldn't have been any quicker pulling the engine. if it took long, it's because it was your first time or you fumbled around with things, things that would have been the case pulling the engine as well. but it sure would have been less annoying not being on your back, little room, and rust and dirt falling in your face.

I'm assuming you're talking about the transmission. Proper spelling/grammar helps...

As for the splash plate. If you can reach it with a 10mm ratcheting wrench, you may be able to change the plate without removing the engine or disconnecting the trans. You may have to jack the engine up a little to give you some room to work.

Josh

The use of "x" to replace a portion of a word (at the beginning or the end) isn't uncommon, although those not familiar with the abbreviation might find it confusing. Amateur radio (ham) operators, for example, especially when communicating via morse code (CW), use "xmtr" for transmitter, and "xtal" for crystal. The aviation industry likes to use the "x" at the end -- "pax" for passenger, for example (just ask forum member aircraft-engineer :) ).

EDIT: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/XMSN

Sorry for the abbreviations boys.

I thought xmsn would be clear.

Ob99w pegged things with ham radio. I have been a morse operator for 45 years and shortcuts really expedite things. Aa8jz is the call sign.

Now on to the xmsn(oops).

tnx (oops)

r

[...].001% of the USMB population are ham radio operators.[...]
I'm sure that understates the percentage of USMB members who are or were amateur radio operators.

Besides, 42.42% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :rolleyes::)

To R. Dial/AA8JZ: 73, OM.