Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dieseling etc

I did a little searching.....

I know I have carb problems but..I think my accelerator pump is going out, I've got a serious stumble off a start.

Here's what's happening lately. Less of a stumble...my car died while I was at a light today. It started right back up, but it was hard. All day it's taken a lot of gas and I've had to turn the key for a while to get it to start. When I got back to work & shut it off it dieseled for a bit.

So there's an "anti-dieseling" valve or something? This is something I can check out pretty easily?

There is (if i remeber correctly and you have a carb) an antdieseling solenoid. It hangs straight out from the carb.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142&d=1065406831

See the hex shaped cylinder with the single wire coming off it.... thats it.

Your carb may not be exactly the same, but the ADS will be.

nipper

Well............here's the deal with this car. I love it, but I just love Toyota trucks better. I've got an '83 sitting in my garage right now. Just waiting for the engine to get back from the machine shop.

Once the truck is up and running, the Subie's getting sold. So.....I don't want to put too much work into it. I DO want to sell it running, and running somewhat well, so I'm willing to replace a couple cheaper easier parts in the carb if that will help.

So....it's got more power than usual, but yesterday on the way home from work it was dying again. If I didn't keep my foot on the gas it died. It got me to work this morning, but off and on, same thing, I'd have to keep my foot on the gas or it would die. I'll check out that link, thanks. Does this sound like a familiar problem? I meant to bring my repair manual to work to read up and they symptoms....but of course I forgot. Thanks a lot everbody.

Oh, yeah, and if there's anyone in or near Montana looking for a good (aside from some carb issues) 87 Subaru.....It'll be under $1000.

Today it died on me again. Right in an intersection :headbang:

Lots of smoke coming out the back once I had been trying to crank it over for a while. Is that just all the fuel burning in the exhaust since it's not igniting? Anyway, any advice on what would cause it run ok, then suddenly need the gas pedal depressed in order to keep running, and sometimes stall and not start? Cranked fine, just wouldn't fire. I'm guessing when I go back to it in a couple hours it'll start right up.